cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Expression as a variable?

ptc-4310378
1-Newbie

Expression as a variable?

There are cases where a value in an equation may be assigned to an expression rather than a single variable.

For example: (e^alpha)/k = 3

Is there a way to define such an expression so it can be carried "as is" in an equation without having to fist substitute it with a single variable?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Something like this?

tmp.gif

I think your suck with the braces though

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Something like this?

tmp.gif

I think your suck with the braces though

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:wayne)

Good job Wayne.

Mike

Any chance there would be another trick that would allow to use the [Characters Inside Brackets] to define a function, like in:

[Char in Brackets](x):=...........

Doesn't seem to work......

Thanks

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-4310378)

I don't believe that can be done.

Mike

Thanks.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Hi Laurent,

There's a saying: "We'll do the impossible immediately, miracles take a little longer."

Literals.png

Refer to attachment that was created in Mathcad 11, and saved as Mathcad 2000

Success!

Luc

Oh Nooo!

This is the sequence Valery mentioned below. I was stuck on the Bracketed Ctrl Shift J method and didn't think about the +k method.

Thanks.

Whaoh! Thanks.I had looked up and down the manual (2001) and even now that you pointed out the way, I still cannot locate it in the manual! But it works fine with 2001.

Coincidentally, this was precisely for a chemistry prob that I was looking for the feature!

Maybe you also have similar magic strokes for "average" ( a bar over the variable name) and "star" as in p* for instance?

ptc-4310378 wrote:

Whaoh! Thanks.I had looked up and down the manual (2001) and even now that you pointed out the way, I still cannot locate it in the manual! But it works fine with 2001.

Coincidentally, this was precisely for a chemistry prob that I was looking for the feature!

Maybe you also have similar magic strokes for "average" ( a bar over the variable name) and "star" as in p* for instance?

With star no problem:

star.png

ne general solution of this problem - the using picture as variable names. I do so on Mathcad Server:

Try http://twt.mpei.ac.ru/MCS/Worksheets/Non_St_Name.xmcd

and see please:

NSName.png

You can also look at this thread: http://communities.ptc.com/message/162180, or search for "circumflex"

Basically, its a font issue. Richard Jackson indicated some fonts in the thread above that he thought might work.

You can also use the private character editor, accessed from the character map that comes with windows, where you can make a modification to a character. The problem is that you cannot share that character with another computer, it would have to be made on each computer. Or, get a program for creating fonts, then you could make and share (i think) that file.

Got it! Thanks.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:wayne)

Wayne Reid wrote:

You can also look at this thread: http://communities.ptc.com/message/162180, or search for "circumflex"

Basically, its a font issue. Richard Jackson indicated some fonts in the thread above that he thought might work.

I don't think combining marks will work in version 2001.

Am punching the current assignment in 15. I am picking up on the basics of programming as I go, but am doing a lousy job and the debugger in 15 is saving my hide. As well as the error tracing: This has saved me hours! Would have been dead with 2001 only on this assignment.

I was browsing through files on this board and had found a nice little function "wrapper" that I wanted to lift, but Firefox decided to upgrade on its own and lost the PTC tab I was on and I did not find this program back.

It looked like something one of the gurus here would have written. It was hidden in a collapsed region, on top of the file. Just a short program (2-3 lines maybe) to apply a function to an array, for a function that cannot process an array. It looked nicely generic, but Firefox took over before I had a good look at it.

Hoping somebody here may recognize what I am talking about. Looked like something I could really use!

Thanks

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

( a bar over the variable name)

Have a look at the attached. I'll try and find the version which can be displayed without the brackets.

Mike

Found it see attached.

Mike

Great. Thanks. Was able to cut and paste it in 2001. That does it.

Top Tags