cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

File Type Not Supported - MathCAD Prime 6.0

JP_9470266
2-Guest

File Type Not Supported - MathCAD Prime 6.0

Hi,

I was working on an engineering assignment last week and thought that I had saved it to my USB before shutting down my computer, however, when I opened the file up again, an error message popped up saying "The file type is not supported. Log file is located at C:\ProgramData\PTC\MathcadPrime\Logs\MathcadPrime_Exception_20210306_200250.log"

I am currently using the free student version of MathCAD, MathCAD Prime 6.0. Two of my saved files were corrupted with one having over 45 MB of memory and the other having over 50 MB of memory. Since they both have memory still I believe all of my work is in there somewhere. Can someone who has experienced this issue before point me in the right direction to retrieve my calculations? I have uploaded my smaller file to this post since the PTC website doesn't let me upload more than 47 MB. Thank you in advance for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:JP_9470266)

It doesn't look desperately wrong. I'll have a closer look later today.

Luc

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

It doesn't look desperately wrong. I'll have a closer look later today.

Luc

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

OK, the work 's done.

As can be expected from shutting the PC prematurely, the problem was at the end of the file.

Probably some pictures are lost from the file. The attached Prime sheet is therefore much shorter.

If you still have these pictures as separate files, you can try to insert them again.

Make sure to create regular backups, as Prime is known to corrupt files with (large) pictures embedded.

Attached is the repaired .MCDX file. I've checked that it opens in Prime 6 without error messages.

I archived it in a .ZIP file, because this Forum thinks it's smarter than Prime: tells me that the .MCDX file is not a valid Prime sheet file.

Success!
Luc

Thank you very much Luc, i'm able to open up the mathcad file without a problem now

Hi. I have the same issue. I put some pictures into my file on my last edit and now I can't open it anymore. Can you take a look at my file too? Thanks in advance!

Take a look at the attached file and check it for missing regions

Thank you so much, it works! 

ptc-6758562
4-Participant
(To:LucMeekes)

I am suddenly having this problem.  Can you share how you were able to repair the file?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Hi. I have the exact same problem. Could you please help me too?

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:IF_10331966)

Your .rar file is extremely small: 137 bytes. What does it contain?

- If it's the .log file from Prime, it's useless. The (corrupt) .mcdx file is required for any attempt to repair.

- If it's the .mcdx file, then that probably contains nothing, which means that your file is beyond repair.

Attach the .mcdx file.

Success!
Luc

The mcdx file which is in the archive you posted has a size of 470214 bytes, but all of them are zeros (which is also the reason why it packs so small and the rar archive is only 137 bytes).
So unfortunately there is no information in your file which could be recovered.

Top Tags