cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Find/Given using programming toolbar - it only works intermittently

ptc-6685094
1-Newbie

Find/Given using programming toolbar - it only works intermittently

I'm using code off of a project partner where he laid out a find/given function using the programming feature. In most instances it works, however when I change a variable value or add a variable to the equation, it goes "undefined" and will no longer give me an answer. This seems work well when we did the original calculation sheet, however, when I go and try to make revisions to it there are problems that always occur.

Even when I just copy and paste the parts to another worksheet it stops working.

I didn't want to redo his entire worksheet using another method to find the answers. Does anyone know why I would keep having problems with this method? Is there some syntax that is very discrete that I'm missing? If not solving through this method, do you have a recommendation?

Thanks,

Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

When using units you often run in problems with precision when evaluating a solve block. If you change CTOL higher to something like 0.01 your sheet works.

I wonder why don't you calculate F.V.d directly by multiplying A, N and sigma.

If you have to use a solveblock for a more compicated formula, you may just write F.V.d:=Find(F.V)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

When using units you often run in problems with precision when evaluating a solve block. If you change CTOL higher to something like 0.01 your sheet works.

I wonder why don't you calculate F.V.d directly by multiplying A, N and sigma.

If you have to use a solveblock for a more compicated formula, you may just write F.V.d:=Find(F.V)

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:Werner_E)

Werner Exinger wrote:

You beat me to it

I did forget to mention CTOL though.

Mike Armstrong wrote:

Werner Exinger wrote:

You beat me to it

And I missed minerr(). 😉

Interestingly enough minerr() seems not to suffer from the problems Find does when using units.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:Werner_E)

Werner Exinger wrote:

Mike Armstrong wrote:

Werner Exinger wrote:

You beat me to it

And I missed minerr(). 😉

Interestingly enough minerr() seems not to suffer from the problems Find does when using units.

That is strange, even when CTOL is at it's default value.

Yes, CTOL change worked. Thanks!

The reason why we were starting to use this method was because the formulas get very large. I didn't give a fair representation about the formula complexities. I can't simply manipulate the formulas to get an answer.

I will see if there is a better method we can use to come up with our solutions.

Thanks for the help.

Even with more complicated equations it may be worth a try to let the symbolics solve it:

1.png

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-6685094)

Have a look at the attached and see if it helps.

Top Tags