cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Find function only finding zero as the answer

kcotton
1-Newbie

Find function only finding zero as the answer

Hello,

I'm using the find function to find 9 variable with 9 equations. Each of the equations equal zero thus mathcad finds zero as an answer. There should be another answer. I know the find fuction will find the closes answer to the guesses but changing the guesses doesn't make much difference.

I tried to set that the variable are not equal to zero but that didn't change anything. The system is working, if I set one of the equations equals 1, I get 9 non-zero answers.

If anyone has a suggestion to sove the system that would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Kendall

1 REPLY 1

The reason Mathcad gives you all zeros for your m's might be that this is actually the only solution to your system! All m's have to be zero and x3 and x5 can be any numbers you like - so Mathcads simply returns your guess values.

If you expect a different solution you might want to check your equations for correctness. Maybe a sign, a typo (you have two times m.3 in one of your equations) maybe something else.

Do you know a set of (non-zero) values which should satify your equations? Then check if they satisfy the equations you had typed.

Top Tags