cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Getting MCP 2.0 window "back" from virtual monitor

ddenholm
6-Contributor

Getting MCP 2.0 window "back" from virtual monitor

At work, I have my Thinkpad notebook computer connected up to a 21" external monitor so that the external monitor acts as an extension of my desktop.

I have a problem with restarting MCP 2.0 if it was last used with the window on the external monitor... And the monitor is no longer connected. Basically, MCP seems to open on the phantom extended desktop where I cannot see it or work on it.

Here is what seems to be happening:

• I am at work and I have the external monitor connected as an extension of the desktop.
  • I open MCP 2.0 and its window appears on the notebook's internal monitor. I grab the MCP window and drag it over to the external monitor and edit an MCP worksheet.
  • It is time to go home, so I save my MCP worksheet and exit from MCP 2.0 (while it is on the external monitor).
  • I tell the notebook to hibernate, disconnect it from the external monitor and pack up my notebook to go home.
  • When I get home, I open my notebook and get it to wake up.
  • I then open MCP 2.0 and it seems to open fine but I cannot see the MCP window on my internal notebook screen. It seems that MCP has opened its window on the virtual extended desktop even though the external monitor is not connected. I have not seen that on other applications so I suspect this is a bug.

If I remember to drag the MCP window back on to the notebook's internal screen before shutting down MCP, then I have no problem when I restart MCP without the external monitor attached. [I hope my explanation of the problem is clear ]

--Doug

4 REPLIES 4

We will look into possible fix for that. In the meantime, you can hover over Mathcad icon in the taskbar, right-mouse-click on active Mathcad window, select move and hit one of the arrow keys. Mathcad window should snap into view. I know this sounds a bit convoluted, but that's how Windows lets you recover in this situation.

Hope this helps,

--Jakov

Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I
(To:jkucan)

Is the fact that "move" and "size" are grayed out when I do that because my paranoid IT group has disabled something?

Fred Kohlhepp schrieb:

Is the fact that "move" and "size" are grayed out when I do that because my paranoid IT group has disabled something?

Usually that means that the applications runs with maximized (full screen) window.

ELSID
4-Participant
(To:ddenholm)

My mother-in-law has had this problem with her laptop computer. It stems from the video driver. For some reason, the driver thinks it's still connected. When this happens, she needs to go into her video settings a "force" the single monitor mode. It then "snaps" her programs (e.g. Word, Adobe, IE, etc.) back to her laptop monitor.

Even in my paranoid IT group, I can force my video driver to one screen. I have not seen the "move" or "size" grayed out.

Top Tags