cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Given/Find Solve Block "Variable Undefined"

ptc-6683052
1-Newbie

Given/Find Solve Block "Variable Undefined"

I'm working on a heat exchanger analysis problem and was going to use a Given/Find Solve Block to solve a system of equations. There are two heat exchangers in series. Near the top of my mathcad sheet I input the given values for the hot inlet fluid temperature and cold inlet fluid temperature, the physical properties, and mass flow rates. I then list my initial guesses and create the Given/Find block but get an error when using the Find function. Any hints/tips/tricks/concerns?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There were some errors in your sheet:

1) a typo when you set the inital guess values (ratings.2 instead of rating.2)

2) You must put all variables you are seacrhing in one Find command.

3) You use a variable T.ci twice which is never assigned a value.

4) This is not a failure but helps to get a solution. You don't have to search for the two ratings variables, you can assign them after the solve block.

5) Sometimes a solve block simply doesn't work as excpected because of the use of units and you get a solution when you get rid of them temporarily. Always worth a try.

See attached. We get a solution but it definitely is not a correct solution.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

There were some errors in your sheet:

1) a typo when you set the inital guess values (ratings.2 instead of rating.2)

2) You must put all variables you are seacrhing in one Find command.

3) You use a variable T.ci twice which is never assigned a value.

4) This is not a failure but helps to get a solution. You don't have to search for the two ratings variables, you can assign them after the solve block.

5) Sometimes a solve block simply doesn't work as excpected because of the use of units and you get a solution when you get rid of them temporarily. Always worth a try.

See attached. We get a solution but it definitely is not a correct solution.

Thank! With your reworked Solve Block I was able to get the correct answer. I forgot to paste over the T.ci values from the original worksheet. The reason why I didn't post the original was becuase it was a very large worksheet with other problems already worked. The reason why you got an "incorrect answer" was because you accidentally set rating.1 = rating.2 when you were double checking your answers. Thanks for the help!

Top Tags