cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Graphing the Mass of a Particle

mabbitt
1-Newbie

Graphing the Mass of a Particle

Hi all,

I am not new to MathCad and I always seem to figure out the little tricks but this one I cannot. I have also given up searching online for an answer. I have run into this problem before but I just replaced constants with values. My point is I'm not dumb I just can't find the button that fixes this problem! Haha

Question is: Is there anyway to graph by the constants of the function? I can't think of a good way to phrase this question so here is an example.

I uploaded a graph of the mass of a particle in the theory of relativity as a function of v. What I want to do is not assign m0 and c to values, but I want them to be constants so that the y intercept would be m0 and the asymptote would be c. So on the graph on the y-axis would simply be a mark m0 and on the x-axis a mark of c.

Is there anyway to do this? If not can you use the markers to mark m0 and c on the graph? Seems like there should be a way to do this other than assigning m0 to a value and c to 3*10^8.

Would something like this be possible? Thanks in advance! -Matt

MathCad Visualization.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MJG
18-Opal
18-Opal
(To:mabbitt)

Set values to m0 & c, but then turn off "tick mark values" in the axes options.  To show "m0" and "c" on the graph, it might be necessary to use text boxes.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Attached 3.0 version shows one way

Fred Kohlhepp wrote:

Attached 3.0 version shows one way

Unfortunately, I don't think that is what Matt is asking for.  If I've read him correctly, he wants the symbols c and m0 not the values.   Whilst Prime will let you enter the variables in the horizontal and vertical markers, it displays them as numeric values (well, at least it does in Prime 3.1).

Unlike, of course, our own dear Mathcad 15 ...

Stuart

Hmm I guess it just hasn't crossed their minds to add in this kind of functionality to 3.1. Because you can set variables to constants and evaluate them in different ways I figured they would add the ability to graph with constants (not set to values). Or at least have those markers like you did in M15. Hopefully in a next iteration they provide this ability but I guess its not that big of a deal either. Thanks for your help!

MJG
18-Opal
18-Opal
(To:mabbitt)

Set values to m0 & c, but then turn off "tick mark values" in the axes options.  To show "m0" and "c" on the graph, it might be necessary to use text boxes.

mabbitt
1-Newbie
(To:MJG)

Seems like you have the best solution for now, Mark. Thanks for your help, I changed the graph, typed m0, c and then dragged them to their locations and it looks like what I was looking for. If anyone else has this problem here is what the graph looks like now.

Top Tags