cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Graphs: problem displaying a 3rd straight line

RosanelladC
1-Newbie

Graphs: problem displaying a 3rd straight line

I need to display 3 straight lines on the same graph (I'll be using the graph to work out area integrals in the region below the straight lines).

I've managed to have 2 lines but I don't seem to be able to add a 3rd one. It's probably a very simple thing

How do I do that, please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thank you for the advise as I was about to buy the student edition of Prime. But I'll have to buy version 14 or 15 at some stage as I won't be able to use it after the course will be over

I'm not sure about the roadmap but I guess that Prime3 will be out soon. We have to see if its a worthwhile version. Maybe the free Express version of Prime3 would be an option for you.

Afterthought: If you buy Prime2 you get Mathcad 15 free along with - one to play with, one to work with. I guess. So the license file (not the product key!) you get on installation of Prime2 will be valid for MC15, too. I don't know if thats true for the student edition but I guess yes. If Prime3 will have the same offer is something we will have to see - from what I read about Prime3 in my opinion it would be necessary to extend that offer.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

You have insert two markers. In Mathcad 15 and below you cannot increase that number (in Prime you can add more markers).

Nevertheless you can plot vertical lines like other graphs and format them as you like.

See if the attached would help

Thank you Werner

But how did you get the 'whatevervariable' bit you placed (which I have now replaced with the 3rd variable y_3), below y_2 to display on the left hand-side, next to the y-axis? I double-clicked on the graph area and various places but all I can only see are the changes in the Traces section. Is it because you have MCad Prime hence can make there relevant changes?

And how can I change the y-axis to go past the intersect of y=3-x between a range, for instance, y_0 = -1 and y_1 = 5 ?

It seems that I can only set the x-axis , which at the moment are x_0 = -2 and x_1 = 6.

Last but not least, if I were to update my currention version of MathCad (Mathcad 14.0 ) to the student edition of MathCad Prime 2.0 , would there be more options?

But how did you get the 'whatevervariable' bit you placed (which I have now replaced with the 3rd variable y_3), below y_2 to display on the left hand-side, next to the y-axis? I double-clicked on the graph area and various places but all I can only see are the changes in the Traces section.

I think now that I had misunderstood your first posting. I thought you had set the two vertical markers at x0 and x1 and wanted a third vertical line, so I showed how to do that. Now it seems to me that you did not create the graph yourself in the first place and your problem was to add the graph of other functions to the two already here. You can do that by typing a commy after the function name, lets say after y1(x), and you get a placeholder to fill in. The same goes for the x-axis (here you see the commatas). If the plot you posted is what you are after it would not be necessary to have the three "x" on the abscissa. If there is only one variable there Mathcad would take it for all the functions on the ordinate. It was only necessary as I added a vertical line and needed a constant value on the abscissa, so I had to tell MC which value would belong to which graph. But there is nothing bad to provide an x for every function plotted.

The thing you tried to change is called legend. To change it double click the plot or choose frome the menu "Format/Graph/xy-plot" choose tab "Traces" and in the first column (Legend label) you can type in what you see if you choose to show a legend (which is by default hidden).

Is it because you have MCad Prime hence can make there relevant changes?

God, no! I don't use Prime on a regular basis. Prime lacks a lot of the features Mathcad 14 or 15 already have and is terrible slow on my machine. Here and there, though, it has some nice new features (which don't compensate for the missing ones) and one of those is the ability to add more vertical markers in a 2D plot. But then, in Prime you don't have a Legend at all but would be forced to place text boxes by hand over the graph region!. Prime also is not able to read and write files in "old" Mathcad format. You would need the current version of MC15 installed along with Prime2 to be able to convert older files to the new Prime format and there is no way back. You may have already gueesed it, I don't like Prime 😉

And how can I change the y-axis to go past the intersect of y=3-x between a range, for instance, y_0 = -1 and y_1 = 5 ?

It seems that I can only set the x-axis , which at the moment are x_0 = -2 and x_1 = 6.

You can change the range of the y-axis the same way as that of the x-axis. At the x-axis you see at the ends to the left and right of the "x,x,x" the limits, which are set to the variables x.0 and x.1. The same way you can see at the ends of the y-axis, above and below the list of y..(x) the values -1 and 3. Feel free to change them. If you delete one of these values and don't type in a new one, Mathcad will automatically choose a suitable value for you.

Last but not least, if I were to update my currention version of MathCad (Mathcad 14.0 ) to the student edition of MathCad Prime 2.0 , would there be more options?

In the meantime you know my feelings about Prime. Even from MC14 to Prime2 I would consider it a downgrade. If you would have the opportunity to update tp Mathcad 15 I would call this a good idea. But you can judge yourself - download the eval edition of Prime2 from the PTC homepage and install it. You don't have to deinstall your MC14 to do so - they exist parallel. After the 30day trial period Prime would transform to a crippled version which PTC calls Prime Express. You can still work with it but a bunch of features will be deactivated (solve blocks, symbolic operations,..?) Also, if you do not want to loose your MC14 installation you cannot install the eval of MC15 and so you would not be able to convert Worksheets from the older format to Prime format. But in this case I am sure that if you post it here someone will be willing to help and do the conversion for you.

Werner Exinger wrote:

I think now that I had misunderstood your first posting. I thought you had set the two vertical markers at x0 and x1 and wanted a third vertical line, so I showed how to do that. Now it seems to me that you did not create the graph yourself in the first place and your problem was to add the graph of other functions to the two already here....

Yes, that is correct. I copied a graph from the collection of worksheets that came with the CD given by my University so that I can check my workings as I work out the calculations by hand. It was quick and easy to do as I have assignments to complete and start revising asap.

It is not a problem that you misunderstood. Perhaps I did not phrase it properly. Sorry.

Is it because you have MCad Prime hence can make there relevant changes?

God, no! I don't use Prime on a regular basis. Prime lacks a lot of the features Mathcad 14 or 15 already have and is terrible slow on my machine. Here and there, though, it has some nice new features (which don't compensate for the missing ones) and one of those is the ability to add more vertical markers in a 2D plot. But then, in Prime you don't have a Legend at all but would be forced to place text boxes by hand over the graph region!. Prime also is not able to read and write files in "old" Mathcad format. You would need the current version of MC15 installed along with Prime2 to be able to convert older files to the new Prime format and there is no way back. You may have already gueesed it, I don't like Prime 😉

Thank you for the advise as I was about to buy the student edition of Prime. But I'll have to buy version 14 or 15 at some stage as I won't be able to use it after the course will be over

Thank you for your help and advise on MathCad Prime vs older versions.

I'm not sure about the roadmap but I guess that Prime3 will be out soon. We have to see if its a worthwhile version. Maybe the free Express version of Prime3 would be an option for you.

Afterthought: If you buy Prime2 you get Mathcad 15 free along with - one to play with, one to work with. I guess. So the license file (not the product key!) you get on installation of Prime2 will be valid for MC15, too. I don't know if thats true for the student edition but I guess yes. If Prime3 will have the same offer is something we will have to see - from what I read about Prime3 in my opinion it would be necessary to extend that offer.

Afterthought: If you buy Prime2 you get Mathcad 15 free along with - one to play with, one to work with. I guess. So the license file (not the product key!) you get on installation of Prime2 will be valid for MC15, too. I don't know if thats true for the student edition ....

I'll contact customer support. Thank you for the tip

Note: I don't see an email address for customer support and I'm told that I don't have enough account privileges to contact customer support. How does one contact MathCad customer support?

I'm not sure and the PTC website is a nightmare to navigate.

Maybe this is an option

http://www.ptc.com/appserver/wcms/standards/free.jsp?&im_dbkey=84069&icg_dbkey=841

or this

http://www.ptc.com/appserver/support/csguide/csguide.jsp#tab-131282

I'm not able to find it at the moment, but usually, when someone has problems with installation or his license, VladimirN suggests contacting support and posts a couple of links. Maybe you are able to spot them anywhere here.

Top Tags