cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

I have had a Mathcad web site for some time.

Joeboy
12-Amethyst

I have had a Mathcad web site for some time.

Now I find that I cannot post a Mathcad file with an XML extension.  It does not come up and I am told it has no  style elements associated with it.  Any help here would be appreciated

21 REPLIES 21

You can create rar, zip etc files and post its.

I realize that.  I can also create pdf files.  Why can I not use Mathcad XML files in a web site file ?  Looks like PTC has taken yet another step in reducing the usefulness of Mathcad

Hi,

use How to Attach a File to a Discussion Reply procedure to attach a file.

MH

Martin Hanák
JeffH1
14-Alexandrite
(To:Joeboy)

I assume you are trying to post a .xmcd file, which is in XML format.   I struggled with this one for quite awhile myself before finding a solution.

The problem is not Mathcad, but your browser.  The browser looks in the file and sees that it is an XML file and overrides the behavior defined by HTML for opening .xmcd files.  My browsers actually open the XML for viewing and editing.  Such a pain.

My solution: Save your files in the compressed Mathcad format with an .xmcdz extension.  This compresses the file to a binary format that won't trip up your browser.  The file will then open properly by starting Mathcad and opening the file.

Jeff

JeffH1
14-Alexandrite
(To:JeffH1)

NOTE: Mathcad Prime doesn't have this problem because Prime files are binary and not XML.  This was a good move on PTC's part.  I never understood the benefit of storing Mathcad worksheets as XML files.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Change the .mcdx extension to .zip, and unzip it. XML! The problem is that Prime then can't read the file.

The reason for XML was that it's human readable. The argument was that calculations done in Mathcad would still be retrievable years in the future, even if Mathcad no longer existed as a product.

Ha - so much like the latest MS Office format (e.g. .docx).

Joeboy
12-Amethyst

Thanks very much

Joeboy
12-Amethyst

Actually I spoke too soon.  I did as you suggested but I get the same result when I log onto the web site and click on the offending file.  I am using Windows 7 and Mathcad 15

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Dixie Griffin wrote:

Actually I spoke too soon.  I did as you suggested but I get the same result when I log onto the web site and click on the offending file.  I am using Windows 7 and Mathcad 15

Its not clear whom you are replying to and which suggestion you tried.

Did saving and providing the files in *.xmcdz format not solve the problem?

Joeboy
12-Amethyst
(To:Werner_E)

I saved the files in *.xmcdz format, updated the web site with them and it did not solve the problem.   The browser still interprets it as an XML file even though the file extension is xmcdz

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

That is surprising, because xmcdz is a zipped xmcd file. Can you point us to the URL of the website and file?

Joeboy
12-Amethyst

Google Dr Griffins Mathcad,  it will come up as Dr Griffins Mathcad - Suddenlink in chemistry section for problem entitled "Methyl Bromide on lettuce"

URL - http://pages.suddenlink.net/drgriffinsmathcad/prob%20B-4%20methyl%20bromide%20on%20lettuce.xmcdz

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

I see the same problem you do. However, when I save the file and look at the contents using Notepad++, I see plain text XML. So it's not clear to me how you created the xmcdz file. Try the attached version.

Joeboy
12-Amethyst
(To:RichardJ)

VladimirN told me to save the file as a compressed XML file first then open it.  That works

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

If you save it as a compressed XML file from within Mathcad it should not be plain text XML though. It should be a zip file, albeit one one with an extension of xmcdz. Which version of Mathcad are you using?

If you put the one I posted on your website does it work OK (it should)?

Joeboy
12-Amethyst
(To:RichardJ)

I am using 15.  Both the compressed and regular XML files seem to open fine if you first save them.  I have not tried yours, will try it and get back to you

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

It looks to me like you simply renamed an xmcd-file and gave it the extension .xmcdz. Obviously this doesn't help and can't stop the browser to interpret it as XML-file.

What you have to do is to save it as compressed file from within Mathcad which then will automatically append the extension .xmcdz.

You will experience similar problems when you exchange Mathcda-files by mails. If you use the web interface of your mail-hoster, chances are, that your files can't be opened directly but have to be saved to disk first.

That was one of the reasons I set Mathcad to save files in compressed format by default. That way there is no need to save the files first and they can be opened directly from within the application(browser.

Joeboy
12-Amethyst

I agree Richard, the key is saving them first which I have no problem with.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Your link works, you must not open the file, but save it: right click on link --> "Save link as..." --> "Mathcad Compressed XML Document".

Joeboy
12-Amethyst

Thanks VladimirN - works

Top Tags