cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Inequality Help

LL_10336639
4-Participant

Inequality Help

Hello, sorry if this isn't the correct place to post but please help me out. I have the following eqn. 

X:= a + b <= c + d = 0

How do I get X to be defined as the lesser of the two. I want it to be defined as C+D if it is smaller, Not 0 or 1.

It is only returning 0 or 1 depending on if the statement is true or false. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LL_10336639
4-Participant
(To:LucMeekes)

Thanks for the response but a better solution I figured out is as follows:

X := if(a+b<=c+d,a+b,c+d) This allows the inequality to return the value instead of 1 or 0

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:LL_10336639)

Then you probably want:

X:=min(a+b, c+d)

X will get the value of a+b if that is smaller than (or equal to) c+d.

Success!
Luc

LL_10336639
4-Participant
(To:LucMeekes)

Thanks for the response but a better solution I figured out is as follows:

X := if(a+b<=c+d,a+b,c+d) This allows the inequality to return the value instead of 1 or 0

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Your IF statement is equivalent to the use of the min() function. The min() function is more compact.

Success!
Luc

Sure its more compact but in other instances when I want to get the inequality to work, the min function will not. My question was not just in regards to the instance i posted, it was how to get an inequality function to return the value, not 1 or 0 for true or false. Thanks for the suggestion though, i will consider using min and max functions more in the future for simple inequality substitutes. 

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Your 'inequality function' is in fact what commonly known as a 'boolean expression'. That is an expression, it is a statement that should always result in either true (1) or false (0). You can use boolean expressions in programming constructs such as an IF or a WHILE to make decisions based upon the statement. And you can assign (the result of) a boolean expression to a variable and use that variable in the IF or WHILE.

Note that in your posting at the start of this thread, you assigned a boolean expression to the variable X:

X:= a + b <= c + d

X will get the result of the statement: "a+b is less than or equal to c+d". That statement is either true or false.

You could follow it up with:

X := IF(X, a+b,c+d)

Success!
Luc

Top Tags