cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Install Matchcad 15 student version on 2 laptops on the same network

ptc-5797412
1-Newbie

Install Matchcad 15 student version on 2 laptops on the same network

Hello guys!

I purchased a Matchad 15 student version and I just bought a new laptop to run analyses in parallel. I would need to use Matchad on either laptop at different time, i.e. Matchad would run on one machine only per session. The two laptops are on the same network and connected to internet through a single router. Is there any quick way to move the license from one machine to the other any time I want?

Thanks!!!

- Riccardo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Riccardo Cappa wrote:

Hello guys!

I purchased a Matchad 15 student version and I just bought a new laptop to run analyses in parallel. I would need to use Matchad on either laptop at different time, i.e. Matchad would run on one machine only per session. The two laptops are on the same network and connected to internet through a single router. Is there any quick way to move the license from one machine to the other any time I want?

Unless you have a floating license (and as an edu user you most likely don't) with a flexlm license server - no.

Single user licenses are bound to the MAC address of a NIC and therefore can't be moved from one machine to another /unless you move your networkcard as well, which sure is too uncomfortable, especially given that you are using laptops.

I am not sure but I guess that a product key for a student license is valid for one installation only, so you probably are not allowed to use the software on both machines, even if you just use it on just one of them at a time.

If you change your computer because you buy a new one, you may contact PTC support and tell them so an I guess they will send you a license file for your new machine. Of course you will have to destroy the license file for the old one to be on the legal side.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Riccardo Cappa wrote:

Hello guys!

Unless you have a floating license (and as an edu user you most likely don't) with a flexlm license server - no.

Single user licenses are bound to the MAC address of a NIC and therefore can't be moved from one machine to another /unless you move your networkcard as well, which sure is too uncomfortable, especially given that you are using laptops.

I am not sure but I guess that a product key for a student license is valid for one installation only, so you probably are not allowed to use the software on both machines, even if you just use it on just one of them at a time.

If you change your computer because you buy a new one, you may contact PTC support and tell them so an I guess they will send you a license file for your new machine. Of course you will have to destroy the license file for the old one to be on the legal side.

Thanks Werner! What a pity!!

Can I buy two student licenses then? or is there any limitation on how many I can purchase as a student?

Also, I guess that in case I do a complete format of the laptop where I have Mathcad installed I can just download the program and use the same license since the MAC address is the same...right?

Riccardo Cappa wrote:

Thanks Werner! What a pity!!

Can I buy two student licenses then? or is there any limitation on how many I can purchase as a student?

Also, I guess that in case I do a complete format of the laptop where I have Mathcad installed I can just download the program and use the same license since the MAC address is the same...right?

You will have to save the license file before you format yor hard disk. The license file is located in a subdir named licenses\ under the installation dir of Mathcad. What you got when you bought Mathcad is a product code - possibly one beginning with JA15... I am not absolutely sure about the current licensing conditions, but what I have in mind is that a regular single user license is valid for two machines while a student/edu procuct code is valid for just one installation - but I may be wrong about that.

Anyway - If, as I guess, you won't be able to use your product key a second time, you won't get a license file for a different machine unless you contact PTC support and ask them for a new license file for a newly bought replacement computer. Guess you will need to tell them your already used product code.

Concerning your other question - I don't know if you are entitled to buy more than one edu license. You will have to ask at your local dealer or at PTC support.

Top Tags