cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Linear programming using minimize limitations

pnav
1-Newbie

Linear programming using minimize limitations

Linear programming using Minimize is very limited in term of the size of the problem that can be addressed. number of variabls and constraint space dimension are very small. Is there any plan in making this feature more robust and scalable ?

9 REPLIES 9
ValeryOchkov
24-Ruby IV
(To:pnav)

pierre navidi wrote:

Linear programming using Minimize is very limited in term of the size of the problem that can be addressed. number of variabls and constraint space dimension are very small. Is there any plan in making this feature more robust and scalable ?

Sorry, how many variables (not "very small") do you use or would like use in Mathcad?

hi valery,

well for instance for the problem :

f being a function of u

given A.u=c

with bounds on u

solution := Minimize(f,u)

if Dimension of A is less than 50x75 solution is obtained,

when dimension for A is in excess of 50x75

then solution becomes red and showing (when you point onto it) : This variable is undefined...

ValeryOchkov
24-Ruby IV

I think the matrix 50x75 in this problem is not so bad for Mathcad!

Can you attach the file or describe the problem?

A propos.

50 is the maximal number of arguments of the function Find, Minimize and others with variable number of arguments.

well not so much...

as a consequence i am using matlab to solve the same type of problems now, with same laptop (64 bits win7pro 4G RAM), i handle arrays in excess of 5000 terms...

ValeryOchkov
24-Ruby IV

pierre navidi wrote:

well not so much...

as a consequence i am using matlab to solve the same type of problems now, with same laptop (64 bits win7pro 4G RAM), i handle arrays in excess of 5000 terms...

I understand it - MATLAB is matrix laboratory (when it is created).

But to be more precise, now MATLAB is a programming language for technical computing.

Mathcad is not a a programming language!

We can compare Mathcad and Matlab, but this is (as minimum) incorrect and (as maximum), sorry, dishonestly.

I would like to have on my computer one unit - Mathlab but I must to have Mathcad and Matlab (and Maple for symbolic calculation) and more others.

Compare please Matlab and Maple (or Mathematica) on one symbolic task!

Dear valery,

Thank you for the explanation.

I am not comparing mathcad and matlab.

As you may see, the title of my post is about linear programming so there is "programming", so i should have taken matlab from the onset, yet i always go naturally toward mathcad, and i was a bit disapointed...

This was the reason of my post, which was directed to mathcad devleopers so that thy can extend minimize function possibilities, as i see no reason why it is so limited..

The reason i go first to mathcad is that I am using mathcad since version 0.9 !! this was back in 1985 on DOS !!! at that time no symbolic tough and maple was a separate product,

I like very much mathcad for prototyping algorithms and ideas. Symbolic can help sometime....

ValeryOchkov
24-Ruby IV

pierre navidi wrote:

Dear valery,

Thank you for the explanation.

I am not comparing mathcad and matlab.

As you may see, the title of my post is about linear programming so there is "programming", so i should have taken Matlab from the onset...

Sorry, Pierre, but the word "programming" in "Linear programming" and in "Matlab is one programming language" is two different word.

I apologize for my ignorance.

wish you best valéry...

ValeryOchkov
24-Ruby IV

pierre navidi wrote:

I apologize for my...

Sorry, I myself have learned about it relatively recently!

Top Tags