cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

M20 blank calculated values

TD_10662025
1-Newbie

M20 blank calculated values

Hi, I'm having an issue where the vectors in the image below con't calculate into a result. The second image is the one where the results should be. I'm using Mathcad 20, so it's pretty old, and the original author of the workbook isn't around anymore. I can't see anything glaring and there was definitely a result from the workbook at some point.

If anyyone can help it'd be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I opened your sheet with Mathcad 15 M050 and I can't duplicate the effect you experience.

When you open a worksheet in Mathcad and auto-calculation is turned on, the visible part of the sheet is automatically recalculated.

So when I scroll down to the end of your sheet, I see this:

Werner_E_0-1681998369238.png

What do you see/experience when you press F9 or Ctrl-F9 ?

When you type 2+3= in that very sheet, do you get the answer 5?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

You are not using Mathcad 20 but rather Mathacad 15 M20 (M20 ... maintenance release number) I guess, maybe even  MC14 M20

If possible you should attach your worksheet for examination.

My first guess would be that auto calculation may be turned off.

Werner_E_0-1681997401100.png

If thats the case, you may either turn it on or press Ctrl-F9 to force the sheet to recalculate.

Thanks for the speedy reply! Automatic calculation is turned on. I have attached the sheet below for examination.

Thanks,

Tom

I opened your sheet with Mathcad 15 M050 and I can't duplicate the effect you experience.

When you open a worksheet in Mathcad and auto-calculation is turned on, the visible part of the sheet is automatically recalculated.

So when I scroll down to the end of your sheet, I see this:

Werner_E_0-1681998369238.png

What do you see/experience when you press F9 or Ctrl-F9 ?

When you type 2+3= in that very sheet, do you get the answer 5?

How bizzare! I'll try an open it on another machine to see if that fixes anything.

Thanks for all your help!

Very bizzare!

Capture2.PNG

Strange, indeed. I am just stabbing in the dark

It could have been a damaged installation and so a reinstallation of Mathcad would have been an option. But as you experience the same effect on two different machines, its not likely that this is the problem.

Do you get any error or the like when you press Ctrl-F9 or when you put the cursor in one of the offending regions and press F9 ?

What do you try create the results by typing L.5= somewhere at the end of the sheet?

Which version of Mathcad are you actually using MC14 M20 or MC15 M020 ?
I am not aware of any such bug but it may be a bug in an older version of Mathcad which was already fixed in my version.

I haven't got access to another machine right now, but I will in a couple of hours to test that. 

I have tried both F9 in both the equation an result region with no luck and with ctrl-F9 too. 

I have tried to evauluate L.5 directly below the equation, which doesn't work either. 

My particular version is, Mathcad 14.0 M020 (14.0.2.5 [802141434]). I cannot see any known issues like this for arrays in the known issues section for M14 M20 either.

I guess I am out of options/suggestions.

I looked at the readme for MC15 M050 which lists all bug fixes made since the latest MC14 but when I flipped through the list I did not notice any bug which could apply.
I attach the file anyway if you like it to study in more detail.

There were some releases after your MC14 M020  (M030 and M035) but I could not find the release notes for the latest MC14 release which would list the big fixes made in MC14 after M020 EDIT2: See below!.

EDIT: Not that I would have much hope, but for whatever it may be worth I resaved the file and attach it here. Just give it a try.

EDIT2: VladimirN posted the release notes for Mathcad 14 up to the last release M035 here

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Mathcad/Release-Notes-for-Mathcad-14/td-p/447162

So now you have the complete lists of all documented bug fixes (and known issues, partially with workarounds) from your release up to the last MC15 M050, where the problem is not shown anymore.

I had not found anything significant, but you sure may want to give the lists a close look than I did.

Just found this:

https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=245194

Looks like you are experiencing a bug in Mathcad 14 which was fixed later. There were releases M030 and M035. As far as I remember M040 was planned, but then released as Mathcad 15 F000, so people with a perpetual MC14 license would have to pay again for the software.

Unfortunately no solution is provided in that thread mentioned above. Continuously pressing Ctrl-F9 seems to work for the guy who answered there but it does not for you as you wrote.

So it looks that your only options are upgrading or downgrading your Mathcad release if ever possible.

Your license file should be valid for any release of MC14 (but not for MC15) but I can't say where to get the installation files for releases after (or before) M020.

PTC has proclaimed end of sale for real Mathcad, cancelled support and is not providing the installation files anymore.

But maybe contacting PTC support could help - may be worth a try. But be prepared that they sure will try to talk you into upgrading (its rather a downgrade IMHO) to Prime 😉

EDIT: Just to show you that you are not the only one  with the problem, two older threads in this forum. None of them with a solution. As a workaround it is suggested that you should edit the worksheet, change variable names, to force a recalculation. Can't say if this would work for you. The tipp in the last thread not to use inline evaluations is generally a good one, but does not apply here as your sheet does not contain any inline evaluations.

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Mathcad/Mathcad-14-does-not-solve-matrix/td-p/50137

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Mathcad/Auto-Calculate-Doesn-t/td-p/389005

Top Tags