cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Mass spring damper with k being a function of x

MChristensen1
1-Newbie

Mass spring damper with k being a function of x

All,

I am trying to set up an odesolve function with a mass spring damper where my spring constant is a piecewise function associated with position. Sort of like a mass is being driven by a force while being acted upon by a damper until it suddenly hits a spring. Any Ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Express can't use solve blocks.

Does this give you a place to start?  (Sorry for the mess--this was a work in progress.)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Odesolve with if - one example

24-4a.png24-4b.png

@MChristensen1 wrote:

All,

I am trying to set up an odesolve function with a mass spring damper where my spring constant is a piecewise function associated with position. Sort of like a mass is being driven by a force while being acted upon by a damper until it suddenly hits a spring. Any Ideas?

OK, and where did you experience problems?

It may help if you would attach your worksheet so we can see what you are trying to do.

tietjee
14-Alexandrite
(To:MChristensen1)

You have picked an interesting problem.  I have seem a similar problem  a pendulum and changing the length based on angle.  In this case it was a child's swing.  Pumping (which changes the length) increases the height.  Adding a forcing function is a good start.  The solution was done using Perturbation Methods.  It treats the non linearity of the equation.  This was over 40 years ago.

Good luck

David 

Express can't use solve blocks.

Does this give you a place to start?  (Sorry for the mess--this was a work in progress.)

Top Tags