cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Match function to return variable name

Casper123
3-Visitor

Match function to return variable name

Hello, 

I'm not that experience with Mathcad, I do with excel, there the index match function is quite handy, something similar I would like to use in Math

I would like a lookup function in a matrix, to return as output from the matrix, not the value, but the name:

Casper123_0-1654700037413.png

I'm not sure if it's even possible, have searched throughout the internet without results..

Thanks for helping!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Simplification.

We can get rid of the Index variable, but inline evaluation still is necessary because "max" cannot be evaluated symbolically if units are used.

Werner_E_0-1654875214576.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hi,

Does this do:

Capture.JPG

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Casper123)

Like this... (in Mathcad 2001)

LucMeekes_2-1654794434128.png

Unfortunately this functionality was lost in later versions of Mathcad, and Prime does not support it either,.

Success!
Luc

Your method works if we use an intermediate variable for the index which is inline evaluated numerically to stop the symbolics from trying to recalculate it.

Werner_E_0-1654809393923.png

Simplification.

We can get rid of the Index variable, but inline evaluation still is necessary because "max" cannot be evaluated symbolically if units are used.

Werner_E_0-1654875214576.png

Thanks @Werner_E much appreciated. 
Learned something new again 🙂

@Casper123 wrote:

Thanks @Werner_E much appreciated. 
Learned something new again 🙂

Me, too!
I wasn't aware that the symbolic evaluation of "max" would not work with units, even if we let Prime assume that all units are positive

Werner_E_0-1654875744614.png

Top Tags