cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

MathCAD 15 Evaluate Numerically (=) Becomes Definition (:=)

gyorwarth
1-Newbie

MathCAD 15 Evaluate Numerically (=) Becomes Definition (:=)

SUBJECT: Mathcad version 15.0 (M010 [MC15_M010_20110622])

Dear Community,

I have a problem with the subject version and build of Mathcad.

When pressing the keyboard button that should be the equal sign (=) I get the define variable sign (:=).

Even when using the pop up (Evaluation Toolbar) and selecting the equals button on screen the same define variable symbol appears.

Selecting the define variable icon does not make the equals sign appear.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Very best regards,

Graeme Y

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:gyorwarth)

In what context does this occur?

If you type 'x' 'x' '=' and haven't previously defined the variable 'xx' then, you will indeed get the ':=' sign, even from the Evaluation toolbar.

If you don't like this behaviour (although I confess to finding it useful), then you can turn it off by going to Tools/Preferences and deselecting "Context-sensitive equals sign' in the Keyboard Options section of the General tab.

However, if you just type '=' in a blank part of the worksheet or if 'xx' is defined, then you should get the '=' sign. Unless anybody has a better answer, then you may need to re-install.

Stuart

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:gyorwarth)

In what context does this occur?

If you type 'x' 'x' '=' and haven't previously defined the variable 'xx' then, you will indeed get the ':=' sign, even from the Evaluation toolbar.

If you don't like this behaviour (although I confess to finding it useful), then you can turn it off by going to Tools/Preferences and deselecting "Context-sensitive equals sign' in the Keyboard Options section of the General tab.

However, if you just type '=' in a blank part of the worksheet or if 'xx' is defined, then you should get the '=' sign. Unless anybody has a better answer, then you may need to re-install.

Stuart

This happens when you try to evaluate a variable which has not been assigned a value yet. As you canot evaluate it (it has no value) Mathcad automatically assumes that you want assign it avalue.

You can change thsi behaviour when you go to Tools > Preferneces... > General and uncheck "Context-sensitive equal signs".

Top Tags