cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

MathCad Prime 9.0 - extremly slow performance

LJ_10851359
3-Visitor

MathCad Prime 9.0 - extremly slow performance

I have a very strange problem with this new mathcad. So the situation is that with a file of only 1.5 mb (something about 30 pages), page scrolling gets stuck and even when entering text (ctrl + T), writing a little faster, the text appears with a delay of several seconds so that it is impossible to In this case, work comfortably, I won't write about the rest because it covers only such basic functions. And the question is what is the reason for this functioning. A month ago I bought a new Asus TUF 15 computer but I returned it after some time because I didn't like it, now I have a new Acer Nitro 5 for a week and the problem is the same in both the first and second case, so it shouldn't be a hardware issue because I have new ones components good enough to work on 10 such mathcads at the same time.
As for the rest of the actions I took, even when I switch Mathcad from AMD to NVIDIA (RTX 3050), the situation is the same.

I will be grateful for an answer as to why the program behaves this way and what else I could do to fix it.

6 REPLIES 6
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:LJ_10851359)

"this new mathcad": New as compared to what? Mathcad (15 or earlier) or Prime (before 9)?

It is known that Prime is slower than Mathcad in many respects. But even with Mathcad I generally have automatic calculation switched off in order not to be delayed by recalculating areas when I change something.

See if that helps for you.

Success!
Luc

JKT
12-Amethyst
12-Amethyst
(To:LucMeekes)

It would be so nice if the "Stop All Calculations" actually did that. I think it is about an hour since I pressed it and the sheet is STILL calculating... I suspect it tries to clear the buffer up to the moment I pressed it. Meanwhile it seems saving doesn't work either...

Compared to nothing, as I was using previous versions of mathcad 7 and 8 on my old HP computer so I have no point of reference. The only thing is a comparison I prepared on version 9.0.0.0. which I have on my new and old computer.

The strangest thing is that on older "gaming" computers (like MSI, Dell or older Acer/Asus) of my friends (from 3 or 4 years ago) it works without any problems at first glance. any annoying jams, even when scrolling a longer document from top to bottom. I bought the computer with the idea that everything would be calculated quickly so that I wouldn't even notice it (even with auto calculation), but I don't know if it's even possible.

So, as I wrote earlier, I did a few tests to compare between my barely dying HP and the new computer and the only thing that comes to my mind is WTF is that. I don't know how to interpret it, so maybe people smarter than me will come up with something.

The only thing I'm considering is that I have the latest Windows 11 on my new computer and after reading about it, it may actually be a problem, but it's just my suggestion. Below is a test done for a 30-page file (1.5 mb) containing simple calculations (variable-substitution into the equation type - without any programming or symbolic functions) and some descriptive text.

As shown in the table below, I did two tests, one for disabling and enabling only one variable at the very beginning of the document, where the time is measured from the moment the disabled variable is turned on to the moment the results of the first few equations appear, which are just a few lines below the given variable.

The second test (only two because the next ones came out similarly and it takes a lot of time) to enable the entire disabled calculation area in the entire document, where the time is measured from the moment the disabled area is turned on to the moment the result of the last equation appears at the end of the document, i.e. on page 30.

Additionally, I have listed the basic parameters of the computers on which it is done. 

And what I forgot to add at the very beginning, turning off auto calculations didn't change much.

Ps. sorry for my English, if something is not understandable, please ask.

LJ_10851359_0-1702768276891.png

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Can you post the worksheet?

Here you have.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Agreed, it's slow for me as well, note that it runs in Prime Express. But it's as slow in Prime 8. I can't find any good reason for it. I do see that you have a lot of calculations in there that all appear to depend on your first defined variable: H. If I disable that definition, it takes a lot of time to ripple that through to the end. And re-enabling it takes another eternity.

While you do present functions, in the form of pictures, you don't define and use them in Prime, but instead write every calculation out separately. I (can only) guess that's what takes so much time for Prime.

Maybe it helps if you actually define the functions in Prime and use them to calculate your many results. You could also take advantage of using vectors.

Success!
Luc

Top Tags