cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Mathad on the Internet?

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

Mathad on the Internet?

I was looking at Wikipedia to find out if a given type of matrix had a particular name (like the Zero or Pascal matrices do).  At the end of one article, there was a link to the category of Array Languages, so I had a quick look and ... Mathcad wasn't on it. 

In fact, there are are a plethora of places, inside and outside of Wikipedia, that I would expect Mathcad to show up, but it rarely does.   Even the Infobox on the Mathcad Wikipedia article isn't up to date - it's showing Prime 5.0 as the latest release.

I was wondering if PTC's marketing people had any kind of remit to keep the most common websites, etc up to date and to ensure that Mathcad has a reasonable web presence?

Stuart

PS.

• I added Mathcad to the Array Programming Languages category (plus about a dozen more).
  • Does anybody know if there's a special name for a matrix of sequential integers?
1 REPLY 1
Perez
12-Amethyst
(To:StuartBruff)

Hello @StuartBruff ,

In mathematics, a matrix filled with sequential integers doesn't have a unique, universally recognized special name just because of the sequential nature of its entries. However, the term "sequential matrix" might occasionally be used informally to describe such a matrix. This is not a standard term in mathematical literature, though. The nature and applications of such a matrix would be understood from its context, whether it's being used for educational purposes, algorithm illustrations, or as part of a specific mathematical problem.

There are, however, special types of matrices that involve sequences or patterns of numbers, such as:

• Toeplitz matrices, where each descending diagonal from left to right is constant.
  • Hankel matrices, which have constant skew diagonals.
  • Vandermonde matrices, generated from the terms of a geometric progression.

These matrices are defined by the patterns they exhibit rather than just having sequential integers. If a matrix with sequential integers has specific properties or is used in a particular context (like a magic square, where the numbers are arranged so that the sum of the numbers in any horizontal, vertical, or main diagonal line is always the same), it might be given a name in that context.

Without additional properties or context, a matrix of sequential integers is generally just referred to by describing its content, for example, "a 3x3 matrix with sequential integers starting from 1".

Top Tags