cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Mathcad 15 recover temp file

pchouinard
3-Visitor

Mathcad 15 recover temp file

Hi, I have a user that her Mathcad crash with the out of memory error but unfortunetly her files goes to 0kb. I check on the autosave folder and the only files I see was old files (2015) Is there a way to recover her file?

thx!

Pierre-Luc

8 REPLIES 8

Are there any ".tmp" files in the folder where her file was previously saved?  If so, I think you can just change the file extension to ".xmcd" and open it.

This might only work if Mathcad crashed while trying to save.

pchouinard
3-Visitor
(To:MJG)

nop, only old .xmcd files....

Also, make sure Autosave is turned on (Tools, Preferences, Save).

pchouinard
3-Visitor

Yes, we also check that, it's turned on to save every 5 minutes

pchouinard
3-Visitor

Is there another folders that Mathcad stores its files temporary when he crash?

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:pchouinard)

No. Although Mathcad has an autosave, it saves only to the active file. Bad practice, but better than Prime I guess, which simply has no autosave at all.

I have learned the hard way, and if I'm working on a new Mathcad file for which I have no backup I make frequent copies using Windows Explorer. That won't help in this case, but it's a practice that might avoid grief in the future.

Okay I hope PTC is working on a fix for that problem cause it's not cool thinking everything's fine cause ou set your autosave and BAM! when your Mathcad crash it's all gone...

Thank you folks for helping me, it's appreciated!

Pierre-Luc

I should probably create an AutoIt program that watches folders and makes time-stamped copies when the files change and moves them to a safer place (different drive, other server). That could be fun.

Top Tags