cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Mathcad Prime 8: Output Default Alias

EW_9840203
6-Contributor

Mathcad Prime 8: Output Default Alias

When setting up a Mathcad Prime 8 document which makes use of specified Input / Output parameters, I've noticed that while Input Parameters have their default alias in the designation list be the same as their name in the document (entirely sensible), Output Parameters default to having the name "out" and alias "out_x" with x counting up. Does anyone know of a way to make the default alias be the same as the name of the parameter similar to Inputs? Screenshots of my lovely Inputs and less lovely Outputs included below.

mathcad inputs and outputs list.png

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:EW_9840203)

You can only name a definition as an input, you can only name an evaluation as an output.

Definitions are:

<defined item> := expression

The <defined item> is an item that you've given a name and that Prime 'knows' by that name. Prime can always use the <defined item> as an alias for that definition when set as input.

Evaluations are:

Expression = <result of the evaluated expression>

Since the expression can be anything from a simple variable, to a complicated expression, it is hard to set a rule for naming it. Example, you can set the following as an output

LucMeekes_0-1659039072667.png

What should Prime name it?

Success!
Luc

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Please post your Prime worksheet (or a worksheet with an example).

Success!
Luc

EW_9840203
6-Contributor
(To:LucMeekes)

Thanks for your reply.  I've added an example worksheet as well as a screenshot to better illustrate my point.

EW_9840203_0-1658999546590.png

The only alias I have manually edited is "output_whose_alias_i_renamed". I'm asking why "output_with_alias_not_named_after_itself" isn't named after itself like the input is, and instead has the alias "out".

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

You can only name a definition as an input, you can only name an evaluation as an output.

Definitions are:

<defined item> := expression

The <defined item> is an item that you've given a name and that Prime 'knows' by that name. Prime can always use the <defined item> as an alias for that definition when set as input.

Evaluations are:

Expression = <result of the evaluated expression>

Since the expression can be anything from a simple variable, to a complicated expression, it is hard to set a rule for naming it. Example, you can set the following as an output

LucMeekes_0-1659039072667.png

What should Prime name it?

Success!
Luc

Top Tags