cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Mathcad vs SMath

ValeryOchkov
24-Ruby IV

Mathcad vs SMath

Our Mathcad Community forum has an Ideas section. They don't let me in there for political reasons. Thank God they're still allowed in here.
The best idea for Mathad is to take all the good things from SMath.
I will post pictures here describing some of the benefits of SMath over Mathad.
I ask those who have access to the Ideas section to transfer my drawings there.

114 REPLIES 114

1. Range is Vector.

Fig-3-3.png

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:ValeryOchkov)

This idea is already implemented, albeit as an undocumented feature:

LucMeekes_0-1655722699619.png

Luc

What version of Prime?

V-V.png

Every version and also Mathcad 15 and below.
Actually the idea is not really implemented in Mathcad or Prime as the inline evaluation (this is what you missed when you defined V) turns the range into a vector and so it can't be used as a range anymore. So ranges and vectors still are different in nature.

In SMath, something that has not yet been fixed in Matcad has been fixed - the Range variable is a full-fledged vector. There is only one difference - an arithmetic progression is written in the Range variable. So is it?

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Werner_E)

"and below":

Mathcad 11 and below do not support inline evaluation.

Luc

@LucMeekes wrote:

"and below":

Mathcad 11 and below do not support inline evaluation.

Luc

OK, not that much "below" 😉 my bad.

2. No <- for a local variable. Only :=.

Fig-3-M.png

3. Two variant of the for cycle

Fig-3-M.png

4. Dynamic help when I unsert variable, function or operator

Fig-2-2.pngFig-2-4.pngFig-3-2.png

Definitely this is something that Mathcad must implement, it is much more comfortable to read directly how the tools are used, in addition, the current descriptions that mathcad uses are really poor if not terrible

5. Dynamic information near plot points

STP.gif

Yes, it is something that Mathcad should incorporate, I am a civil engineer and this resource is quite useful for the study of influence lines in beams

6. Area in Area

Fig-6-Plot.png

But!!!

SMath-Mad.png

7. Number format: digits after point an common number of not 0 digits

Format.png

8. Two clicks for labguage chang

Labguages.png 

9. Create exe file

Exe.png

10. 7 not 6 boolean operators.

Bool.png

All my conscious life I dreamed that an operator would appear in the programs approximately equally. Such a program finally appeared, but not in Mathcad, but in SMath (version dated June 20, 2022).

Here is the only program in the world where the built-in operator is used, and not the user-defined operator is approximately the same!

Fig-6.pngFig-7.png

Expandability.

Mathcad Block. rkfixed.jpg

X-Y Plot. Cassini oval.jpg

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

I wonder how this 7th boolean operator ≈ is defined..

I guess it's not by simple rounding, since pi rounded to 3 digits is 3.142 and rounded to 2 digits it is 3.14, which the boolean pi ≈ 3.14 should then return 1 (true).

Should it use TOL (or any other global setting) then that would make it unusable, because then you might have to change that setting with every use of the ≈ operator.

Luc

In 1897, an amateur mathematician attempted to persuade the Indiana legislature to pass the Indiana Pi Bill with π = 3.2.

SMath-Pi.png

bool.png

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Why do you cross out the XOR operator?

Luc

13 is a bad number.
But seriously, show me the task where this operator is needed? I haven't seen yet. Yes, this operator may be needed by someone. But then you need to introduce other boolean double operators. And there are not three, but 16.

See one table from one my book.

bolean.png

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

There are differences between the operation of the XOR and the UnEqual operators:

LucMeekes_0-1657968341890.png

Luc

It is Mathcad nuances. The XOR and the UnEqual operators are equal. With boolean values!

But show me please one calculation with the XOR operator.

And more

FL.png

Today SMath has

SM-boolean.png

The world's first and so far the only program with an operator a not approximately equal!

Fig-6-MinGR-eng.png

Top Tags