cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Matrix/Table Formatting

JosephKuhn
1-Newbie

Matrix/Table Formatting

I am a Mathcad 14.0 M020 (14.0.2.5[80214134]) user. I have a problem formatting matrices. The Format/Result/Display-Options/Matrix-display-style options Automatic or Table don't work. If I select either of these I get an empty place marker. The only way I can look at an array is to select the Matrix option.. This is not feasible for large arrays.

Is there a bug in Mathcad? Is there a download to correct the problem? Is this just a user problem? I would appreciate any help I can get with this.

Thanks for your help,

Joe Kuhn

joekuhn@lighttube.net

11 REPLIES 11
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:JosephKuhn)

I possibility is that your mathcad installation is corrupted. Try repairing it.

If that doesn't work tell us which OS you are running and post a worksheet that shows the problem.

I am using Windows 7. I have attached a worksheet showing the problem.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

There's nothing wrong with the worksheet. I suspect Windows 7 is your problem (but I have XP, so I have no way to confirm that). What do you get if you insert a 3D graph, A Data Table, or a push button control?

None of the insert Graph functions work except the 2D functions. The Plot Wizard doesn't work. None of the Control functions work, including Push Button,

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Those are all components of one sort or another. It is possible for this to happen under XP if the component registration is corrupted, but repairing the installation should fix it. If you have tried repairing the installation without success then it looks like Windows 7 is the problem. I have no way to guarantee that though. If you upgrade to version 15, that supports Windows 7.

Richard Jackson:

Thanks for trying to help. It looks like I have other problems besides the table formatting one. I need to start another topic and ask if anyone else has encountered a compatiblity problem with Mathcad 14 and Windows 7. It may be that a thirty year relationshop with Mathcad has come to an end. The goofy prices they are asking for upgrades, the insistence on a maintenance contract which I can't afford, and a total lack of PTC technical support will prevent me from continuing to use the product. Thank god for Matlab which continues to provide reasonably prices upgrades for students.

Again, thanks for your help.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Joseph Kuhn wrote:

I need to start another topic and ask if anyone else has encountered a compatiblity problem with Mathcad 14 and Windows 7.

Yes, although I forget the details.

The goofy prices they are asking for upgrades, the insistence on a maintenance contract which I can't afford, and a total lack of PTC technical support will prevent me from continuing to use the product. Thank god for Matlab which continues to provide reasonably prices upgrades for students.

I don't know what price you are hoping for, but Mathcad 15 student edition only costs $99

Richard Jackson:

One last comment and we can close our dialog. I was never a student and always paid for my Mathcad but upgrades were only $99. Now I am a retired EE and use Mathcad as hobby, working engineering problems that were so difficult when I was in school. I can't afford to pay for the professional edition and I don't think I qualify for the student edition.

Thanks for your help.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

That's unfortunate. It would be good if the cheap prices applied to retirees as well as students, but then I guess there's the problem of verifying that the retiree is not using it for commercial gain (consulting, for example).

But if you're not a student then you can't get student prices on Matlab either, so I don't see that you would be any better off going that route. And Matlab lacks the Mathcad interface. If you are prepared to give up the interface and are really strapped for cash you might want to look at Octave (I have it installed, although I rarely use it). It's a Matlab clone that is completely free. It's got some limitations compared to Matlab, but then you don't have to pay anything for it!

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Joseph Kuhn wrote:

I need to start another topic and ask if anyone else has encountered a compatiblity problem with Mathcad 14 and Windows 7.

I haven't heard of any compatibility issues with M14 and Windows 7, so I would highly recommend creating a new thread.

Mike

>The only way I can look at an array is to select the Matrix option.. This is not feasible for large arrays<

Under matrix option, your "large array" can be as short [reduced] as one row x one column. Is it still too large ? If 1 x 1 is too large, then don't display any arry at all.

Top Tags