cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Multiple Variable Inputs

JW_10233024
10-Marble

Multiple Variable Inputs

Hello all,

Does anyone have a suggestion for the following...

I have a 170 page calculation, predominantly systems of linear equations, that has over 150 different inputs.

What could be recommended as the best method for inputting the variables?

• I've tried utilising the excel component but it kept crashing.
  • I've lumped them all into a matrix, this worked okay.
  • I attempted to WRITEEXCEL them as they are being used elsewhere but it crashed the system.

I am currently using loads of individual READEXCEL's but this is not ideal as it does not pick Excel variables (cell location cannot be moved).

I'm thinking that a CSV intermediary between Excel and Prime might be best with use of some VBA, not sure.

I'm in the slow process of re-writing the sheet so that logic can take care of some of it!

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

An input table could be the way to go.  150 inputs is a table 10 wide by 15 down.  If you double the ten wide you can use text to hint what the variable to the right is,  Input could be broken into multiple tables if it gets too large.  Units can be  applied in the table or in the extraction of variables below.

For example:-

Capture.JPG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi,

An input table could be the way to go.  150 inputs is a table 10 wide by 15 down.  If you double the ten wide you can use text to hint what the variable to the right is,  Input could be broken into multiple tables if it gets too large.  Units can be  applied in the table or in the extraction of variables below.

For example:-

Capture.JPG

Good idea, thanks again Terry, I'll give it a whirl.

Are these 'range variables'?

Hi,

Are these 'range variables'?

No.  Each column of the input table is a vector.  It is necessary to extract each variable from the corresponding vector.

Cheers

Terry

Top Tags