cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Number Formatting of Calculation Results

JaySmith
1-Newbie

Number Formatting of Calculation Results

I'm a rookie MathCAD 15 user and I can't figure out how to display a calculation that results in a number of the order 10^-18 with less than 17 decimal places. Whenever I format the result to scientific format (or engineering) with <17 places the result rreturned is displayed as a zero. As soon as I up the decimal places back to 17, it shows the correct number. What's up with that?

Thanks,

Jay

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You need to go to Format|Result|Tolerance, which is the rightmost tab, and change the Zero Threshold to something like 307, which will force pretty much any value that's small to display in scientific notation.

TTFN

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

You need to go to Format|Result|Tolerance, which is the rightmost tab, and change the Zero Threshold to something like 307, which will force pretty much any value that's small to display in scientific notation.

TTFN

Thank-you Eden ... I needed that. I take it that setting the tolerance to anything greater than the number of decimal points of the number calculation can achieve (make available or allow ?) the desired formatting options. Seems to make sense now, after you pointing it out. THANKS again.

Jay

Yes, a general rule, that's one of the first things I change when I install or reinstall, since that's always issue. However, once it's happened to you, you'll tend to remember it more, so the problem is usually solved sooner, than not.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:JaySmith)

James,

Following the above steps you achieve the following.

Mike

Top Tags