cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Problem finding set of values for exponential function

ptc-5403048
1-Newbie

Problem finding set of values for exponential function

Hello everyone.
I am having some trouble finding a set of values of y corresponding to x for the following equation.
y=exp(x+4y)

I would really appreciate any help i can get. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I agree with Werner. I find the easiest way to think about this is to take logs:

m1.PNG

Alan

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

Sorry, may be I do not understand some one, but where is the problem:

e.png

Valery Ochkov wrote:

Sorry, may be I do not understand some one, but where is the problem:

Thats the problem:

28.11.png

Those two values are demanded to be the same.

Delete y:=0

Valery Ochkov wrote:

Delete y:=0

?? In as much would this help to solve the equation given???

The equation has real solutions only for x < -2.3822943 (approx.), so the given range from 0 to 300 has to fail, even if you would do it right.

The two solutions (for valid values of x) look like this:

LambertW.png

Look up the Lambert W function in the literature for further information.

You demand the impossible (assuming you expect real values).

You will only get solutions (two for each value of x) for x <= -2.383.

You may get them using a solve block.

Here is a sheet that should help and an animation demonstrating why values of x must be smaller than -2.383..

I still think that number should be -1-ln(4) and Mathcad allows for slightly bigger values only because of numerical inaccuracies in the solve block - anybody any comments on that?

A more detailled video (higher FRAME number) was uploaded here: http://communities.ptc.com/videos/4498

EDIT: Added 3D-plot

LambertW2.png

I agree with Werner. I find the easiest way to think about this is to take logs:

m1.PNG

Alan

Fine approach!

So -1-ln(4) definitely is the largest value allowed for x.

Thanks! Iogs seems to be doing the job.
However what i ultimately need is a set of values of y corresponding to x.

I tried your method and but what i managed was to get a set of values of x corresponding to y.
Is there any way i can extract this information from the graph? Thanks.

Thanks. I haven't really grasped Lambert W function but i'll surely take a look at it during my free time.

I haven't really grasped Lambert W function

You don't need to do.

The small solveblock does what you want

29.11.png

- get a set of y-values corresponding to x-values.

The problem is that you get two different y-values for any (valid) given x-value and so I provided the function Sol() to get both. Thats also the reason the table of values i provided has three columns - the first being the x-values and the next two the two different y's.

In the animation provided you could see why there are two solutions and that one of them approaches zero with lower values of y while the other grows.

I have no idea which of the two solutions you would need for your application, so grab what you need.

Seems preety simple now!

Thanks! Iogs seems to be doing the job.
However what i ultimately need is a set of values of y corresponding to x.

I tried your method and but what i managed was to get a set of values of x corresponding to y.
Is there any way i can extract this information from the graph? Thanks.

Do you mean something like the attached? Bear in mind that you won't get real values of y if your values of x are greater than -1-ln(4).

Alan

Again the guess value y:=1 will give you the bigger of the two solutions while a smaller guess like 0.01 will yield the solution for y which is closer to zero.

Werner Exinger wrote:

Again the guess value y:=1 will give you the bigger of the two solutions while a smaller guess like 0.01 will yield the solution for y which is closer to zero.

True. You could get both sets together by doing something like:

TwoSolns.PNG

Alan

Matlab.pngYes. Exactly what i meant. Thanks. I'm now trying to apply the same concept to a different equation (almost same form as this one). I am actually trying to get used to plotting equations using Mathcad and Matlab.
I am getting it correctly with Matlab but i'm having some trouble drawing the graph and extracting the range of values of y. Could you please have a look? I'll be grateful. Thanks.

Matlab.pngI'm trying to apply this concept to another equation(same form as above). I don't know what i'm doing wrong but i'm not getting the range of values of y that i'm supposed to get.
I also plotted the equation using Mathlab just to verify. I'll be grateful if you could have a look at it. Thanks.

See attached for what I get with Mathcad.

Alan

I made a mistake in the Mathcad file. Thanks again for helping me out.

I'm a bit too late but for whatever it may be worth here is what I came up with.

According the values from Matlab - i get the same results as Alan and it looks to me that you may have made a typo in the function definition, using different constants.

Yes i made a mistake in the Matlab file. The explanations in the Mathcad file were very helpful. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Top Tags