cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Puzzle-35. Find the Length DE. ABCD is rectangular. 5 areas are same sizes. AB=13 cm.

ttokoro
20-Turquoise

Puzzle-35. Find the Length DE. ABCD is rectangular. 5 areas are same sizes. AB=13 cm.

Not a question of mathcad but Mathcad can solve this.

Find the Length DE.

ABCD is rectangular. 5 areas are same sizes. AB=13 cm.

ttokoro_6-1708949375898.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

8 REPLIES 8

Its not difficult to get DE=6, but Mathcad or Prime were of no help here (or rather: weren't needed).

Hi

See Enclosed

To be on the safe side we would need a symbolical solution, but trying to evaluate  the solve block symbolically fails.

Reason is that yD actually is irrelevant and yD could be set to any constant value and need not to be solved for.

So when we solve for four unknowns, we also only need four equations - one of the area equations is redundant anyway - if four of the five trinagles have an area of 1/5 of the total area, I would be surprised if the fifth triangle would have another area.
Now symbolical evaluation works OK

Werner_E_1-1708959439581.png

Attached. prime 4 express

Hights of triangle DEG and ECH are not same but areas are same.

image.png

Sorry, can't follow your logic 😞

Actually DE=6 cm, not 6.5 cm. E is not halving DC.

I stand corrected.  Trying to explain my logic revealed my error.

Trying to explain my logic revealed my error.

I know exactly what you are talking about -  I know that situation all too well myself! 😉

Top Tags