cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Simplifying.

lvl107
20-Turquoise

Simplifying.

Hello, Everyone.

A.PNG

Simplify A ?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Best Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:lvl107)

Even simpler like this. While I think that Mathcad should be able to simplify it in exact mode.

Notice that I formatted the expession using the Result Format menu, otherwise the 120 would show as 199.9999999....

See below how to prove with Mathcad in exact mode that the coefficients 60 and -120 are exact.

simplify2.png

Mathcad is able to do it in exact mode, all it needs is a ridiculous simple help (it should not be necessary):

simplify4.png

BTW, don't bother with Valery's file - it's in Prime format and he is just joking around - thats the whole content:

Simplify_Valery.png

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Help me please with simplifying too - see the attach!

ViktorKorobov
13-Aquamarine

simplify.GIF

Viktor

Viktor
lvl107
20-Turquoise
(To:ViktorKorobov)

Many thanks for your response, Viktor and Valery.

Valery, my Mathcad 14 can not open your file.

Viktor, give me a time.

Best Regards.

Loi.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Even simpler like this. While I think that Mathcad should be able to simplify it in exact mode.

Notice that I formatted the expession using the Result Format menu, otherwise the 120 would show as 199.9999999....

See below how to prove with Mathcad in exact mode that the coefficients 60 and -120 are exact.

simplify2.png

Mathcad is able to do it in exact mode, all it needs is a ridiculous simple help (it should not be necessary):

simplify4.png

BTW, don't bother with Valery's file - it's in Prime format and he is just joking around - thats the whole content:

Simplify_Valery.png

Werner Exinger wrote:

Simplify_Valery.png

Sorry - It is not a joke More correct

F.png

So you mean your life can't be simplified/facilitated any further (at least not by Mathcad).

On the other hand, we don't see what "Facilitate" evaluates to, so maybe that Prime 3 feature would change our lifes

Werner Exinger wrote:

...maybe that Prime 3 feature would change our lifes

I have done it in Mathcad Prime 3

Life3.png

I have done it in Mathcad Prime 3

I would have bet, you did.

Its alarming that your life facilitates to a question mark, though. 😉

lvl107
20-Turquoise
(To:Werner_E)

Many thanks, Werner. I got it.

Simplify.PNG

Best Regards.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Loi Le wrote:

Many thanks, Werner. I got it.

Best Regards.

Yes, but you used float throughout and therefore you can not rely absolutely on the values returned. Even as you used symbolics results must not be 100% exact that way.

That was the reason I tried (and succeeded) to get the symbolics to come to reasonable result without using float. Its ridiculous that simply adding ar subtracting those specific values do the job.

Thanks to Viktor for pointing me in the right direction with his idea of using float. I don't think I would have come up with this (rather would have tried some kinds of substitutions combined with the use of assume).

Werner

lvl107
20-Turquoise

Hello, Everyone again.

Factor.PNG

Best Regards.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Loi Le wrote:

Hello, Everyone again.

Factor.PNG

Best Regards.

No, as already said, using float means you are leaving the road of exact results. Thats the reason for my efforts to avoid float in symbolics. Nevertheless the first float was necessary to see what the result could be and to suspect that 60, 12 and 120 could be the exact results.

BTW, Mathcad won't factor for non integers anyway.

simplify5.png

Top Tags