cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Strange graph label behavior

regcurry
14-Alexandrite

Strange graph label behavior

A few days ago, I was able to use the Unicode character map to insert a subscript into a graph label.  I was surprised I could do that, but it worked as noted in the attached png file.  Today, when I opened the same Mathcad 15 file, the subscript was lost and a blank box appeared where it should be.  See the attached images.  This is the ...2.png file.

Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Reg
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@MartinHanak wrote:

Hi,

my guess ... you did copy&paste from the window of another application.

Yes, he wrote that he copied it from "CharacterMap"

I think you have to enter subscript using Mathcad functionality.

Mathcad supports super- and subscripts in text labels, but there is no "Mathcad functionality" to create super or subscripts in plot labels!

And inserting the appropriate Unicode characters works fine for me, also in the file which regcurry posted.

I have no explanation. regcurry suspects a current Windows 10 update. I am running Win10 as well, but with delayed updates . Have to wait for the next update to bomb in and see if the effect can be duplicated then.

But I rather guess that something in regcurry's installation (Mathcad or most likely Windows) has somehow got corrupted by something else.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

I could not duplicate that effect with Mathcad 15.

The subscript remained even after saving the file, closing Mathcad and re-opening Mathcad and the saved file once again.

See if the attached file works for you, too.

Werner_E_1-1686105508800.png

I used the subscript from the same font as the rest of the text (TimesNewRoman).

Maybe you had mixed different fonts and this caused the problem - just a wild guess. Which font did you chose the subscript character from?

EDIT: No, mixing fonts  seems not to be the problem. Actually we even can't mix fonts here, all will be converted to TimesNewRoman, no matter which font you pick in the CharacterMap. And if you pick a character from a font from a position where TimesNewRoman has no appropriate character, you would see the rectangle immediately after inserting the character and not just after saving and reopening.

Can you attach the file in question - the one with the missing subscript character

We can't look at the differences because the plot is binary coded, but I could at least look if I experience the same rectangle when i open your file.

regcurry
14-Alexandrite
(To:Werner_E)

Werner,

Here is an example Mathcad 15 file.  You also need the Excel file to read in the data.

I was only able to show you the original where it worked because I saved the graph with the Windows snip and sketch tool before the change.  I can no longer get the Times New Roman subscripts to work in Mathcad 15 labels.  The only thing that might have changed is I allowed a Windows 10 update in between the two cases.

Reg

Strange!

When I open your file I see the subscripted "2" as it should be.
I guess that you don't see it when you open the file i had posted?

Unfortunately I have no explanation and no idea how to cure that other than the obvious like "power down and restart your computer", "reinstall Mathcad" (be sure to save your license file first!), "make a Windows system repair", etc.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:regcurry)

I used my SheetView tool to show the contents of your Mc15 sheet and saw this:

LucMeekes_0-1686131645313.png

Inspection of the contents of the file reveals that the plot input data (including text for title, grid numbers and X- and Y-axis labels) is not saved as xml, but as a gzip stream, which I haven't decoded yet.

The plot result is stored as a bitmap, which is shown by the SheetView tool.

I guess that your update to Windows10 has done something to your PC's interpretation of fonts.

Success!

Luc

regcurry
14-Alexandrite
(To:Werner_E)

Also, I do not have or use prime.

Reg

Hi,

my guess ... you did copy&paste from the window of another application. I think you have to enter subscript using Mathcad functionality.

Martin Hanák

@MartinHanak wrote:

Hi,

my guess ... you did copy&paste from the window of another application.

Yes, he wrote that he copied it from "CharacterMap"

I think you have to enter subscript using Mathcad functionality.

Mathcad supports super- and subscripts in text labels, but there is no "Mathcad functionality" to create super or subscripts in plot labels!

And inserting the appropriate Unicode characters works fine for me, also in the file which regcurry posted.

I have no explanation. regcurry suspects a current Windows 10 update. I am running Win10 as well, but with delayed updates . Have to wait for the next update to bomb in and see if the effect can be duplicated then.

But I rather guess that something in regcurry's installation (Mathcad or most likely Windows) has somehow got corrupted by something else.

... following is just my opinion.

Mathcad 15 users will soon have to install virtualization software on their computer and create a virtual machine with Windows 10 and no Internet access. They will then be able to use Mathcad 15 in this virtual machine until the "end of the world".

Martin Hanák
regcurry
14-Alexandrite
(To:MartinHanak)

Thanks all for responding.

Martin Hanak is confirming my disappointment with PTC..  I have been using MATHCAD (not prime) since version 3.  That gives you some idea that I am an octogenarian.  Ever since PTC took over, it has been a difficult road to use the non-prime version.  I realize they need to make money, but I can no longer afford their prices.  Also, I may not be on the planet long enough to justify the cost. 🥴  I ran an older version on a virtual machine when I had Windows 7.  I found the process less than ideal.  For a hedge, I am in the process of learning SMATH-STUDIO and converting my critical programs to that app.  As with all old people, I miss the good-old-days. 😂

Reg
regcurry
14-Alexandrite
(To:MartinHanak)

Martin,

Does this mean MATHCAD 15 can be installed on a virtual machine without getting a new license from PTC?

Reg

MartinHanak_0-1686552549919.png

Martin Hanák
Top Tags