cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

This variable is undefined

ptc-5260687
1-Newbie

This variable is undefined

Any help appreciated. I sure this has been asked ad infinitum but I can't find the answer.

I want to use Mathcad to assit my child in algebra. At times, I just want to use it instead of pen and paper, for example.

My child may have to solve this simple problem by isolating "x"

5x-7=9

I just want to write this in mathcad and work through the equality. But of course two(2) problems:

1) x appears outline in red as undefined. I've tried preceding it with x:=x and other ideas but nothing works. In fact, in x:=x, the second x has same problem with red outline and undefined error.

2) the "=" causes the problem to solve (if x is defined i.e. x:=2). The solution 3 would appear on the right side of the "=" and I can't type the nine(9).

Well, I'm sure many have seen this before.

Please help as it would be great to do algebra (solving equations manually) using mathcad using the computer where our work can be saved (and double checked by math cad).

Thank you,

DJ

16 REPLIES 16
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-5260687)

We can certainly help, but please post the worksheet. To add an attachment click on "Use advanced editor" at the top right, then if you go to bottom left (OK, illogical, but that's how it works) you can add an attachment.

alg.png

Thank you much for the answer. Worked Great.

DJ

You can use the Boolean equal sign (ctrl 😃 so the undefined variables won't be in red.

algebra.png

Is that what you want?

DJ

Sure about the last line? Looks like a multiplication dot between 3 and the fraction 😉

You caught it. Since it is supposed to be manual, you could say that it is 3. as in 3.0. That would make it correct. I probably should have used 3+1/5.

I probably should have used 3+1/5.

Certainly everbody knows whats meant anyway.

We could use

14.09.png

but of course Prime does not offer this.

I didn't know about that option. Thanks!

Harvey

Werner Exinger wrote:

Prime does not offer this.

It is very good!

No way into Mad House "Mathcad"

315.png

You could use the <CTRL>= constraint operator instead of the :=. Then, select the x, and use Symbolics|Variable|Solve in M15.

Note that Mathcad will not display the steps for solving equations, so it's relatively limited in this regard.

DJ

Something like this?

Equals sign.PNG

Alan

Uh-oh! Moderated again, so I guess a dozen identical answers to this will suddenly appear!

DJ

Whats wrong with using and reading the built-in help??

Chapter "Symbolics and Keywords", subchapter "Solving Equations Symbolically":

"To solve an equation symbolically, type the equation using the Boolean equals sign ([Ctrl] [=]) and either:

Then press [Enter].

If the function contains more than one variable, type a comma after "solve," and then type a comma-separated list of the variable(s) you want to solve for in the placeholder."

symbequ1.png

You did not state which version you use, so I assumed Mathcad 15.

If you use Prime or Prime Express, the help is somewhat more unclear and cumbersome but the information is there nonetheless. You would have installed the help pages locally on your machine, but for Prime the help is available online, too. What you need is here: http://www.ptc.com/cs/help/mathcad_hc/prime2_hc/index.jspx?id=resourceid-131-8CCFC2DB&action=show

DJ

Top Tags