cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Trigonometry

RG_10050841
3-Visitor

Trigonometry

Hello,

Right, mathcad and trig do not seem to be living a harmonious lifestyle. I ask why?

I'm going through some fairly basic questions for an assignment for school and again on paper everything is rosy, but then mathcad is unconvinced. 

I am seeming unable to input the inverse trig functions in any form which I know (sin^-1, asin) and then as you can see in question 8 in the file attached the answer is absolutely wrong.

What's the issue?! Is it me? Admittedly quite possible but I think I have tried all of the obvious approaches but I am likely wrong.

thank you in advance for any help which you can offer me!

Much MathCad love,

Rowan 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
rgunwaldsen
14-Alexandrite
(To:StuartBruff)

In addition to Stuart's excellent reply, you should consider using units wherever possible to eliminate conversion errors.  Prime 7 and PDF attached. (hope my high school trig is OK)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@RG_10050841 wrote:

Hello,

Right, mathcad and trig do not seem to be living a harmonious lifestyle. I ask why?

I'm going through some fairly basic questions for an assignment for school and again on paper everything is rosy, but then mathcad is unconvinced. 

I am seeming unable to input the inverse trig functions in any form which I know (sin^-1, asin) and then as you can see in question 8 in the file attached the answer is absolutely wrong.

What's the issue?! Is it me? Admittedly quite possible but I think I have tried all of the obvious approaches but I am likely wrong.

Mathcad trig functions expect angles to be in radians.   Fortunately, you can tell Mathcad you mean degrees by simply adding the "deg" unit after your angles' numeric values.

2021 11 24 H.png

Stuart

... forgot to add.

You need to type in "deg" whenever you need the answer in degrees.  Mathcad does not remember what you want.  If you don't, then you'll get the answer in radians; for example:

2021 11 24 I.png

If you're not sure of the name of the unit you require, then Mathcad provides a helpful list in the Units tab of the Math ribbon

2021 11 24 J.png

You can find more information about units and how to use them in the Mathcad Help pages.

https://support.ptc.com/help/mathcad/r7.0/en/index.html#page/PTC_Mathcad_Help%2Fto_insert_units.html%23

Stuart

rgunwaldsen
14-Alexandrite
(To:StuartBruff)

In addition to Stuart's excellent reply, you should consider using units wherever possible to eliminate conversion errors.  Prime 7 and PDF attached. (hope my high school trig is OK)

ppal
17-Peridot
(To:RG_10050841)

muser_0-1637801958658.png

Top Tags