cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Trouble with ODESolve with System of Equations

ptc-4929944
1-Newbie

Trouble with ODESolve with System of Equations

Hello Community!

I have researched quite a bit and am having difficulty understanding the syntax of the ODESolve function. I cannot figure out how to solve the attached system of equations.

I have:

• Checked that the construction equations are all solveable and unitless.
  • Checked that the boundary values are unitless.

I think I need a slight tweak to my ODESolve construct, but cannot figure it out. Please help.

8 REPLIES 8

You have a functions of pressure, P.ppt, and P.plt that are functions of time, but I don't see where any relationship between them and (say) flow rate is defined. So your problem may not be sufficiently constrained.

Typically pressure gets tied to flow rate and volume.

I can't see, since you've locked the areas . . .

I believe the system is correctly constrained.

P.ppt shows up in Constitutive Equations 1 (mechanical), 4 and 6 (hydraulic).

P.plt shows up in Constitutive Equations 2 (mechanical), 6 and 7 (hydraulic).

The locked areas of the worksheet only hide the calculation of constants in the equations (i.e. A.or.main.11).

Thanks for the feedback.

All of your A constants, e.g. A.or.plt etc. are zero. Thus, some of your variables (e.g. P.plt(t)) don't exist in the system as far as odesolve is concerned. Thus, you have a mismatch on the number of variables and the number of initial conditions.

All of your A constants, e.g. A.or.plt etc. are zero. Thus, some of your variables (e.g. P.plt(t)) don't

No, they are just to small to show up with three decimals and unit m^2. Set unit to mm^2 or let show more decimals to see.

To Werner's point - yes there are non-zero values in the constants of the constitutive equations. One check I did to help check unit integrity was to subsitute arbitrary, unitless, and non-trivial values for the functions in each equation. All seven equations gave me a unitless result without error.

I do suspect I have an overcontrained boundary condition.... I'll keep searching for it.

I am still suspecting my construct for the Odesolve is incorrect. Can someone confirm that the fundamental structure of the equation and have and time boundaries are in an acceptable format?

Okay about the non-zero values. I should have known that was the case when I saw a unit.

I'll try to help again. It appears to me that you only have three active equations but four unknowns when you go through some algebraic manipulations. See my attached worksheet.

I changed some of the variable names to eliminate the literal subscripts, but that wasn't the problem. I think your odesolve form is okay if you find another equation.

Thank you to all who have contributed!

I need to re-evaluation the system dynamics to try and find that missing equation. Any suggestions on the likely underconstrained variable are appreciated.

I realized that I eliminated one too many equations when I subtracted the two equations. However, when I included one of them, I still get the error as before. I've tried some other simplifications but no luck. Re-derivation of the system is the right thing to do.

Top Tags