cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Using Git version control (DVCS) on Mathcad xmcdz files?

PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member

Using Git version control (DVCS) on Mathcad xmcdz files?

Hi,

I'm looking at using the Git distributed version control system for some projects including mathcad dll's and Mathcad xmcd/xmcdz files.

Git is a fast easy to use dvcs system from Linus Torvald (the guy who 'wrote' Linux, who then decided to sol,ve the horror of VCS)

Git open source and is only 5 years old. There are Windows GUI front ends as well.

My question is, has anyone else used it, especially for Mathcad work, and in particular for xmcdz files, which are zipped?

For my mathcad dll files there is no real problem as it is simply a case of monitoring the line and character changes in the C/C++ source files. (Git's speed and effectiveness derives from it only noting the small changes).

For regular xmcd files, which are simple XML text files, git should find that easy.

For the compressed xmcdz files there is a need to decide about when to unzip, and whether to store it uncompressed, and when/if to recompress (and making sure it is recompressed right.

So, has anyone used Git' distributed version control system with any aspect of Mathcad?

Philip

0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags