cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Vector operator not working

LarryLederer-di
1-Newbie

Vector operator not working

In the tutorial 4-1 step 7, when I follow the steps to insert the vector operator nothing happens. That is the operator remains as the dot product after pressing the Ctrl(and)^keys. It also does not work if I select the operator from the Matrix Operator menu.

Does anyone else see this as well?
7 REPLIES 7

Vectorization is a prefix operator, and so you have to have the cursor at the beginning (left) of the expression you want to vectorize.
(To:TomGutman)

On 8/17/2009 5:56:15 PM, Tom_Gutman wrote:
>Vectorization is a prefix
>operator, and so you have to
>have the cursor at the
>beginning (left) of the
>expression you want to
>vectorize.
>__________________
>� � � � Tom Gutman

That clarification probably needs reporting. I think it was just as bad in previous versions (i.e. the documentation wasn't as clear as it could be about how/when/where to apply the vectorise, and like wise for its deletion)

Philip Oakley

Yes, but given the general level of usability I would consider this a minor point. Much of the interface seems to be designed as an IQ test, to see who can figure out how to use it, rather than to allow people to do the obvious and have it work as expected.
(To:TomGutman)

On 8/18/2009 5:06:31 AM, Tom_Gutman wrote:
== Much of the interface seems to be designed as an IQ test,

I'll stick to the Mensa one - it's a lot easier. This one requires effort, time and being methodical. Maybe it's a perseverance test?

Stuart

I feel like... like what Rowan Atkinson once said...

a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat... that isn't there...

Most of the stuff I've been looking for isn't there - but I've got to go down all sort of strange paths in order to work that out.

But then even when I think it isn't there (like "if" function) someone else points out that it is actually there... I'm going cross-eyed.

Philip

On 8/17/2009 5:56:15 PM, Tom_Gutman wrote:

>Vectorization is a prefix

>operator, and so you have to

>have the cursor at the

>beginning (left) of the

>expression you want to

>vectorize.

>__________________

>� � � � Tom Gutman

Yes that does the trick! But you still must highlight the entire expression and make sure the cursor is at the beginning (left) for it to work. What was confusing me was I would highlight the expression and get the dot product operator blinking so I kept thinking that the operator would change. Very clunky.

Ah, vectorization, as always, is a unary operation that applies to an expression. It does not apply to, or change, individual operators. You cannot replace a binary operator with a unary operator -- that would destroy the expression.