cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Where to start learning MathCad Prime 2.0?

dfischer
1-Newbie

Where to start learning MathCad Prime 2.0?

The office purchased Mathcad Prime 2.0 in 2012 or 2013; due to my evolving job I'm only now using it. I've used Mathematica before. Mathcad is completely different beast and I'm struggling with the basics.

Should there be tutorials or example Mathcad files installed? In my installation, there are none. Only PDF help files, which are clumsy and don't have any live editing features. (And this computer isn't networked, so can't access any of the internet support.)

I downloaded a suite of Tutorials from PTC.com, but they won't load in Prime 2.0. I gather they're only for 3.0?

And the PTC.com site seems useless; apparently if you don't pay money every year, you get no service packs or security fixes or anything, let alone technical support files.

Surely a mathematics tool in 2010 has a suite of example files to help new users? But I can't find anything. Any suggestions where to start? Is there a cache of tutorials that should have been installed, and I should request IT re-install?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:dfischer)

In Prime 3.0 there is a tab labeled "Getting Started", where you can find a "getting started" tutorial. There are also tutorials for programming and solving. I thought this tab was also present in Prime 2.0, but you say you don't see it?

When you got Prime 2.0 you also got a copy of Mathcad 15. Is there a reason you choose to go with Prime 2.0, which is vastly inferior to Mathcad 15?

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll double-check, but when I went to the Getting Started section, it opens the help system which is a PDF document reader, in essence. There are no live examples that operate in MathCad. From searching the computer, I find no example / tutorial / help Mathcad files provided with Mathcad.

This was bought in 2012, and the current version then was Prime 2.0. I don't know anything about what was out two versions previously or why I would have used it instead of the current edition. I'll see if it's on the installation disc.

What are the benefits of v15 vs Prime 2?

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:dfischer)

Hi david,

"The office purchased"... on your request, or someone-else's? Is that individual still within the company? Maybe he's become fluent in Prime.

Download Prime 3 and install that as well. You should be able to install it in "express" mode, where it requires no license, but lacks a few of the advanced possibilities. It's just as good as Prime 2 and it will allow you to explore more of the online content, See the "PTC Mathcad - All worksheets" post that was posted some 45 minutes before your posting.

Just start using Prime 2 (or 3), and when you're stuck, post the problem worksheet and ask help on this forum. People are glad to help beginners.

Success!

Luc

Just want to note the following: if you install a Prime 3.0 version, along with Prime 2.0 version, then worksheet converter will only work for Prime 3.0 version ".mcdx" file format.

There's a long story behind this computer and its software. The short answer is: I was tasked with setting up an analysis computer for a project. At the time, we had a sub-contractor that did some analysis in Mathcad, so I bought Mathcad for the machine. (My preference is Mathematica, but at the time, Mathcad seemed of immediate use.) Fast foward the 18 months it took to navigate procurement, IT rules, and evolving work responsibilities...and I have a standalone, non-networked computer with a recent version of Mathcad and I'm the resident expert

To avoid an even longer story, downloading and installing Prime 3 is a non-starter. Unless it is really worthwhile and free.

And the PC is not connected to the internet so "online content" is inaccessible. That's why I was so disappointed when, after downloading the tutorials and after waiting a month for them to be transferred to this PC, they couldn't be opened by Prime 2.0 (sigh)

Here you can find:

1. Video tutorial "All PTC Mathcad Prime Tutorials": http://learningexchange.ptc.com/tutorials/by_sub_product/ptc-mathcad-prime/sub_product_id:19

2. Some training materials for Mathcad Prime: http://www.ptc.com/communities/academic-program/programs-and-training/online

Do you know if these files work with Prime 2.0? That was the problem with the tutorials I previously downloaded from PTC: they're corrupted or otherwise un-openable by Prime 2.0.

http://www.ptc.com/communities/academic-program/programs-and-training/online

Top Tags