cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

how to do the goal seek in mathcad prime 3.1

ranto
9-Granite

how to do the goal seek in mathcad prime 3.1

Hi all,

Please suggest, how to do goas seek  in the below attached calculation - mathcad prime 3.1

8 REPLIES 8
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:ranto)

You have 8 equations but you just want to solve for one single variable? This may work, but mostly doesn't as the equations are likely to be contradictory/conflicting,

But ... I see that you have in total 12 variables in your 8 equations which had not been assigned any value.

These are Sfmax, W, M.o, L, S.R, S.t, S.TO, S.H, thetaf.max, V, g.o, and h.o.

I guess that it was a typo that you wrote "e" (Euler number) instead of "E" in the fourth equation!?
I also guess that V and W are meant to be variables and not the units volt and watt.

So actually you are about to solve a system with 12 unknowns but only have 8 equations!!
This may work, but usually there will be an infinite number of possible solutions and Prime will chose just one of them which might not be the one you would prefer.

To solve that kind of system you have to assign a guess value for every 12 unknowns and you also have to solve for all 12, not just for the one you are interested in only!

In any case you should correct that and if it doesn't work you should attach your worksheet, not just the pdf.

P.S.: I am not sure if your equation/condition using the "max" function will work as desired in a solve block.

ranto
9-Granite
(To:Werner_E)

Please check the mathcad prim 3.1 file and provide your suggestions

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Mo is undefined. 'deg' is undefined.

Please first check that ALL errors regarding undefined variables are corrected, before posting.

Success!
Luc

ranto
9-Granite
(To:LucMeekes)

Dear,

Please find attached the mathcad prime 8.0 file for your review

Pleas provide your suggestion 

Regards,

Robert

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

If you:

1. Add ALL variables you want to find to the find statement, like

LucMeekes_0-1672327260316.png

2. Change

LucMeekes_0-1672327363074.png

to

LucMeekes_1-1672327391971.png

You will find:

LucMeekes_0-1672327593722.png

To be A numeric solution, I leave it up to you to decide if it's THE solution.

Success!

Luc

Some additional remark:

I removed the angle theta from the solve block as its not used in the calculation. After you derived a suitable value for Sf.max you can easily calculate this angle using the derived value.

You can add constraints in the solve block.

For example I demanded Sf.max to be greater than 3 Pa (and not around zero as in the solution otherwise suggested).

As you can see in the screenshot, Prime assigns exactly that value to Sf.max and adopts the other values accordingly.

But when I change this constraints to Sf.max > 4 Pa (or higher), no solution is found. So if you expect a value around 700 MPa as your guess suggests, I would suggest that you check your formulas.

We finally arrived at seven equations in seven unknowns, but the fact, that my constraint resulted in a quite different solution and that changing the 3 Pa to 2 Pa and 1 Pa also yield different solutions, may suggest that your seven equations are not independent - a further reason to double check the equations.

Werner_E_0-1672332963166.png

ranto
9-Granite
(To:Werner_E)

Thank you 

and i will recheck with exccell

ranto
9-Granite

Dear,

Dear ,

Without goal seek I had completed the calculation (enter by manual for the iteration variable which highlighted in yellow up to reach the max stress ratio at 1.0 or 0.99)

See my calculation page
Top Tags