cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

how to enter perpendicular sign

elund
5-Regular Member

how to enter perpendicular sign

Hi, how can I enter the perpendicular sign into a formula? 

I've tried following the below instructions but I cant copy the sign into the equation. 

https://support.ptc.com/help/mathcad/en/index.html#page/PTC_Mathcad_Help%2Fto_insert_characters_using_the_character_map.html%23wwID0EP3AO

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I was curious and created in Mathcad 15 a sheet with the perpendicular sign as subscript (its quite easy to do there) and converted that sheet to Prime5.

Alas! We now have the subscript working in Prime, too. Still no clue how to create it in Prime alone but I guess there has to be a way to do so.

B.png

Prime5 file attached, so you can at least use copy and paste to create your own variable names.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hi,

If the text formatting is set to default of "Tahoma" the following works.

Hold down the ALT key and using the numeric pad (not the keyboard numbers) type 9500 and release the ALT key.

If you are on a laptop without a numeric keyboard you may be out of luck.

Cheers

Terry

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:elund)

Hi,

try like this:

parallel orthogonal.jpg

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Given from the link you provided I guess you are using Prime, right?

Given from your explanation it looks to me that you don't want that character as part of a text but part of a variable name, right again?

1) Go to Start/windows icon at the lower left and start typing "character map" without the quotes and start the program - it will show up in your localized version (in my German windows its called "Zeichentabelle").

2) Go through steps "0" to "4" in the following screenshot to copy the character (or any other) to the windows clipboard.

B.png

3) Now you could easily insert that character into  a textregion, but it will refuse to be inserted as part of a variable- or function-name. So now comes the trick part. Lets suppose you want to create a variable name x followed by the perpedicular sign.

3a) Type double quotes - you will get automatically a pair of them

3b) Inbetween those quotes type x and then Ctrl-V to insert the perpendicular sign from the clipboard

3c) Type Del (delete key) to delete the quotes - you just have created a Mathcad variable name with that special character which you may use as any other variable name.

B2.png

I have yet found no way to make that character a subscript.

Also its seems not to possible to use any sort of superscripts in Prime as any expression created via the ^ operator is considered a math expression and cannot be used as variable name.

I was curious and created in Mathcad 15 a sheet with the perpendicular sign as subscript (its quite easy to do there) and converted that sheet to Prime5.

Alas! We now have the subscript working in Prime, too. Still no clue how to create it in Prime alone but I guess there has to be a way to do so.

B.png

Prime5 file attached, so you can at least use copy and paste to create your own variable names.

elund
5-Regular Member

@terryhendicott @-MFra- thank you both for you replies, sorry I forgot to mention this question was for mathcad prime 5.0. 

@Werner_E I did not manage to get your first suggestion to work. The result I got resulted in the figures below. Your second suggestion worked tho. Too bad it's not possible to make it directly in prime (prime 5.0. have many irritating limitations like this compared to M15).

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

The picture you inserted isnt visible.

You have to use the "Photos" icon to insert pics in the message body.

Top Tags