cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

mathcad14-se: licenses finished!

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

mathcad14-se: licenses finished!

I have reinstalled my old MATHCAD14-SE but I cant use it because the licenses have ended. Someone could be so kind to give a non banal answer about what to do to continue to use it? Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
VladimirN
24-Ruby II
(To:-MFra-)

Hi,

You reinstall program on a new or old computer (on which was previously Mathcad installed)? What type of license you use ("locked", "floating")?

Fra wrote:

... MATHCAD14-SE ...

What do you mean by "SE" version?

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:VladimirN)

Hello!

"se" stands for "student edition". Every now and then I do a reset of my computers HP envy I7 3D. So I format the hard drive and reinstall all the software. Mathcad14se is also installed on another computer of mine but much older with square LCD display. Due to the different geometry of videos, mathcad worksheets are deformed in the transfer from one pc to the other, so I very rarely use the latter. Type of license: 1 user license. Order number.6449574017.

(This story of licenses is much of bother. The license of a purchased product should be perpetual!) .

Thank you very much for your attention.

Best regards. Francesco.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Did you save your license file before you formatted the harddisk and reinstalled your system?

Please distinguish between the productcode you got when purchasing the software and the license file which is generated during installation after you typed in and automatically sent the product code to PTC's license server.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:Werner_E)

Yes I did! I save everything on my continuous wireless backup drive.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

I remember that with MC14 licenses where either bound to the MAC adsress of the (a) NIC or to the volume serial nmber of the primary harddrive. As far as I remember ther edu licenses used the latter and I think you can find out by opening the license file with an editor, its a simple text file. If you format your harddrive your drive will get a different serial number and Mathcad will refuse to work if the license was bound to that number. There are tools which enable you to set the volume serial number to a value of your choice, but you would have to have saved that number, too, which you probably didn't.

Your product key will not work, as it is valid only for two (or even only 1 with edu license) installations and so you will have to contact PTC support. They will as either for you volume serial number or the MAC address of your NIC (both are sometimes call CPI ID by PTC which is irritating) and send you a new license file.

Hello,

If you have an account by PTC, you can "manage" your licence.

If not ... you can create your account before to continue.

.. Support ... https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/portal/ ... https://www.ptc.com/appserver/lm/rsl/reconfig.jsp

You need the information of your old system and the new system.

If all works ... you will receive per e-mail 2 files with the licence for the new hardware.

I do this procedure several time ... change of the computer or to receive the licence file for Prime 3.0.

Regards,

Jean-Francois

I am doing so for our floating licenses and for a couple of node locked single user licenses.

But ...

1) this procedure would only be available if you are still under mainainance and if Fra would be, why should he still use MC14

2) I don't think that this is available for the student edition.

Top Tags