cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

my experience with creating an e-book

HarveyHensley
3-Visitor

my experience with creating an e-book

I just finished creating a Mathcad e-book of my files used for my reactor modeling book and I thought I would share some thoughts.

My original "book" consists of a main file, and files for each example and appendix. To create the e-book, I followed the help guide in the author's reference. The only problem I had was discovering that the files can't have spaces in the names. Everything now works.

After going through the process, I have concluded that this e-book form is not appropriate for a text such as this. I think the only real advantage it might have over my other method is that the search function will work through all of the files at once. It seems that the e-book is more appropriate for a reference of data or of special functions that are self-contained.

Another disadvantage is the delivery of an e-book to a customer is more involved. The e-book consists of a folder with the files plus a .hbk file that is in the Handbook folder that contains the e-book folder. This requires more explanation on how to "install" the e-book. It's not that difficult for most people, but it could require more support from the writer.

I was also disappointed to find out the e-book doesn't allow links within a file, only to another file. Earlier versions of Mathcad have that capability. I knew it was gone in Mathcad, but I thought the e-book format might have it. Without that capability, the writer has to really break up the work into small files if he wants extensive linking.

For writers of textbooks, I don't recommend the e-book approach. For PTC development, e-books capability for Prime needs to be added for the reference type of works. For textbooks, what I think is more needed is just internal links within a file.

0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags