cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Template for posting Ideas is interfering with useful previews

JamesAvis
14-Alexandrite

Template for posting Ideas is interfering with useful previews

This, right here:  --> 

Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video.

1. What product and version are you running?
PTC Community 2024-01-08

2. What is the problem?

For example, take a look at this screenshot of what are probably some very good ideas, chosen at random.  There are three lines of text previewed for each one.  How useful is the preview to you?  This is the result of the template for new ideas, which was created as part of the "great archive effort", also known as "resetting the clock on ideas that really should have been implemented by now".  We're now required to answer these questions, and while the information is useful, it is all collected as text and presented, along with the questions, all smashed together in the preview.

JamesAvis_0-1704729493114.png

3. Are you using a workaround? If yes, please describe it.
Either vote or ignore while staying uninformed about the actual idea, or load it in another tab.

4. What is the use case for your organization? Describe how your idea would work in context or how it would apply to a practical situation.

1. The solution, which I think goes here (there's not a clear place for the actual idea in the template), is to collect the metadata, such as Creo Product and version, as actual metadata (we're already required to select labels and tags, use those), not on the actual text of the form.  This would make ideas more easily searchable by version, I'd think.  Don't include the questions in the text of the form.
  2. Maybe include the questions in the text of the page that has the form on it, but not in the form itself so when the idea is presented and previewed, you see only the actual contents.
  3. If "View More" expanded the entry, rather than loaded a separate page, that would help as well.

5. What impact does this problem currently have on your organization? (Number of users affected, hours of lost productivity, etc.)

@olivierlp I couldn't find a forum for ideas of this nature, so I put it here.

3 REPLIES 3
AndrewK
Community Manager
(To:JamesAvis)

Hi James,

I've moved your post to the feedback board StephenW suggested.

We have discussed some of your suggestions already and there are more changes coming to the idea boards in the near future. For example, we are likely going to add a product version drop down and record it separately from the text of the idea like you suggested. We are planning to pilot some changes on the Windchill idea board to start, but nothing is finalized yet. We will take a look at your suggestions here when we begin that work. It may require reworking the post page for ideas and that would be a good time to implement any changes to the form.

Thanks for your feedback!

AndrewK
Community Manager
(To:JamesAvis)

@JamesAvis Today we implemented a minor change to the Idea page based on one of your suggestions. Now instead of "View more" linking to the idea it expands the preview text. This preview is just text and does not include images and the formatting you can find on the idea itself. We have discussed improving that experience in the future for both ideas and forum posts, but for now this seemed like a good first step.

Top Tags