cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Where are instructions to relicense CREO 3.0 M190?

ptc-2740294
3-Visitor

Where are instructions to relicense CREO 3.0 M190?

I used to be able to relicense M110 with the attached pdf instructions. But with M190, there is no reconfigure.exe in the bin folder. Are there similar instructions available to relicense M190? Do I need to request a file from PTC and if so, what email do I use? (schools@ptc.com is dead and the link referenced in the auto reply does not exist "PTC Academic Support Form". )

I am teaching CREO to our FIRST robotics team at the end of this week and all our team's laptop licenses have expired. (I need to retain this version as the training materials are written for this version).

Thanks, Derek.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

because Creo 3.0 is no longer supported, you can resolve your problem using following procedure.

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hi,

because Creo 3.0 is no longer supported, you can resolve your problem using following procedure.

Martin Hanák

Thank you for your excellent and detailed response.

I presume that, since CREO 3.0 can be tested before removing CREO 9.0, the two will co-exist. (I understand that no files created or opened in 9 will then work in 3). Is that true or are there other architecture differences that might cause problems?

Because we have many laptops to 'reconfigure', I think I'll have to cancel the class and then, I suppose, we might as well migrate to 9.0 to avoid this happening each year.

However, we are using a bunch of Lenovo Ideapad 330S laptops (RYZEN 5, Radeon VEGA graphics) which are just usable - although fine for training. I wonder if the overhead of 9.0 will be much greater than 3.0?

We also have multiple parts with embedded formulas (cycloid gears, involute gears, belt pulleys etc). Do these migrate successfully from 3.0 to 9.0?

Any other comments about migrating? (eg: go to 7.0 and not 9.0)

Regards,

Derek

PS: I have been using CREO 3.0 (M110 and earlier) for about 10 years with the team (I began using ProE in the 90's at work). I wrote the CAD course using M110 and started teaching CREO to our team last year. However, I could only install M190 on our laptops. Even the differences between M110 and M190 meant some of the course material was incorrect. I am certainly apprehensive about going to such a new version - I anticipate that it will be like learning an entirely different CAD software (It took me about 5 years before I felt comfortable with ProE after migrating from a 2D system).

Hi,

I presume that, since CREO 3.0 can be tested before removing CREO 9.0, the two will co-exist. (I understand that no files created or opened in 9 will then work in 3). Is that true or are there other architecture differences that might cause problems?

Yes, CREO 3.0 can be tested before removing CREO 9.0 (the two can co-exist).

Yes, files created in CREO 9.0 cannot be opened in CREO 3.0. Opening a file created in CREO 3.0 in CREO 9.0 does not change the file.

Because we have many laptops to 'reconfigure', I think I'll have to cancel the class and then, I suppose, we might as well migrate to 9.0 to avoid this happening each year.

You will need approximately 1/2 hour to reconfigure every laptop. I think it's not that much.

However, we are using a bunch of Lenovo Ideapad 330S laptops (RYZEN 5, Radeon VEGA graphics) which are just usable - although fine for training. I wonder if the overhead of 9.0 will be much greater than 3.0?

It is up to you whether you upgrade to CREO 9.0 or not. You can continue with CREO 3.0.

We also have multiple parts with embedded formulas (cycloid gears, involute gears, belt pulleys etc). Do these migrate successfully from 3.0 to 9.0?

It is up to you to test your specific models in CREO 9.0.

Any other comments about migrating? (eg: go to 7.0 and not 9.0)

It is up to you to make decision.

I have been using CREO 3.0 (M110 and earlier) for about 10 years with the team (I began using ProE in the 90's at work). I wrote the CAD course using M110 and started teaching CREO to our team last year. However, I could only install M190 on our laptops. Even the differences between M110 and M190 meant some of the course material was incorrect. I am certainly apprehensive about going to such a new version - I anticipate that it will be like learning an entirely different CAD software (It took me about 5 years before I felt comfortable with ProE after migrating from a 2D system).

I do not understand, why you upgraded to CREO 3.0 M190. BASIC RULE = if you want to stay at specific release then you must backup installation media.

Yes, CREO 9.0 is very different than CREO 3.0.

Notes:

• CREO 3.0 M190 was relased in February 2019, you can't expect the manufacturer to support such old software
  • if you want to stay with the CREO 3.0 M190, then you have to count on the fact that you will have to solve minor or major problems with its operation
  • what is the point of teaching students CREO 3.0 M190 when in practice this system is hardly used anymore

Martin Hanák

Thank you again for your help. I was hoping not to bother you again but since you asked some questions, I think it would be polite to answer.

Since I had been using CREO 3.0 for so long (and had become very comfortable with it), I loaded 3.0 on all our teaching laptops last year. Only after installation and noticing some differences did I realize that it was M190.

I realize that PTC will not continue supporting all old versions (support = bug fixes, technical help, compatibility with new OSs etc) but I did hope that the product could be relicensed. BTW, 3.0 M110 is very stable and currently does everything we need.

Our CAD class was intended to teach students the principals of 3D modeling and assembly, with less emphasis on the vendor and more on how to draw in 3D. Some are learning Solid Works at college and others might need Inventor in their workplace.

Again, I really appreciate the time you took to respond. You provided much more help than this 'old guy' probably deserved.

Cheers,

Derek

Quick update:

CREO 9 layout and menu system is actually not that different to 3.0.

I had no problem opening existing models with embedded formulas

Installing 9 was easy and it even read all the settings files (search, config etc) so we haven't even lost any of the customizations we made.

Opening our largest assembly in 9 on the Lenovo laptops was fine with no hesitation when manipulating the full assembly.

Thanks to Martin for his perhaps unintended push to CREO 9.0.

Cheers,

Derek

@ptc-2740294 wrote:

Quick update:

CREO 9 layout and menu system is actually not that different to 3.0.

I had no problem opening existing models with embedded formulas

Installing 9 was easy and it even read all the settings files (search, config etc) so we haven't even lost any of the customizations we made.

Opening our largest assembly in 9 on the Lenovo laptops was fine with no hesitation when manipulating the full assembly.

Thanks to Martin for his perhaps unintended push to CREO 9.0.

Cheers,

Derek

Hi,

I think the Drawing mode will surprise you... hard to tell if in nice way or not.

Martin Hanák
Top Tags