cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Why should I use an Academic Configuration for PTC Creo 2.0?

MarkCheli
6-Contributor

Why should I use an Academic Configuration for PTC Creo 2.0?

Answer: Our Academic configurations contain many settings and templates, all intended to make Creo easier to use and learn. The top 10 reason we suggest that you use it are as follows:

1. You can easily switch between selected unit systems and drawing standards.
  2. Each drawing template contains 4 standard views as well as an intelligent format/title block. The title block will automatically display the Description parameter from the part or assembly being displayed.
  3. Imported files (STEP, IGES, etc) will automatically be imported into a template model and if possible, automatically changed to a solid model. Without our configuration, imported models may be left as surface geometry and without standard datum planes, view names and layers, they can be difficult to work with.
  4. Each template part and assembly contains a saved Isometric and Trimetric view.
  5. All features are displayed in the model tree of assemblies. Without our configurations, you only see parts and assemblies in the model tree of an assembly.
  6. Rather than cluttering up your start in folder, trail files are automatically created in a temporary folder.
  7. The default model display of Shade With Edges makes your model easier to see and work with. This is especially good for new users of CAD.
  8. More appearances are available for adding color to your model. The default configuration only contains fifteen.
  9. Rather than disappearing, datum features will continue to be displayed when you spin your model.
  10. When you move your cursor over an object in the model tree or graphics area, it is simultaneously pre-highlighted in both of these areas. This makes finding and selecting objects in your model easier.
2 REPLIES 2

We've never used the academic config for our university installation. I didn't know one existed. Where would I get this config file?

MarkCheli
6-Contributor
(To:kleipold)

Kate,

You can use the below guide to set up different configurations:

http://apps.ptc.com/schools/references/creo_standards_2.pdf

That said, by default you can find it at....

C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 2.0\Common Files\M070\creo_standards\configure.bat

Top Tags