cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Mathcad Prime 3.0 still has an italian-keyboard bug

ptc-5354977
1-Newbie

Mathcad Prime 3.0 still has an italian-keyboard bug

Hello,

I'm using Mathcad Prime 3.0 for a mechanical engineering project at university. Obviously the keyboard I'm using has an italian layout. When I try to use the keyboard shortcut for exponentiation (^) a logical operator appears (instead of "x^y" I obtain "x if |y|"). So the only way possible is to use the ribbon, but it's a big time wasting procedure, if you have to do it again and again and again...

PTC already knows about this bug because other users have reported it already when Prime 1.0 and later Prime 2.0 have been released (http://communities.ptc.com/message/167763#167763).

The only way to solve the problem (for the great number of Italian students that use this software) is

1) change the keyboard profile to the english one;

2) use the "^" keyboard operator (pressing shift+6);

3) swap the keyboard profile to italian again.

I really hope PTC will solve this very well known bug sooner or later. Thanks.

Christian

8 REPLIES 8

Christian Katsavos wrote:

Hello,

PTC already knows about this bug because other users have reported it already when Prime 1.0 and later Prime 2.0 have been released (http://communities.ptc.com/message/167763#167763).

It was one more message here about this problem. Search please!

PS

Sorry!

What is the difference between Italian and English letters and keyboards?

It was one more message here about this problem. Search please!

I guess you mean this one: http://communities.ptc.com/message/223556#223556

But the point was that PTC knew about the problem for a very long time and did nothing to solve it! So it makes much more sense to link to the first discussion dealing with the problem, which Christian consequently did.

?? Nobody wrote about English or Italian "letters"! If you are talking about keyboard layout as Christian did - Google knows it!

Valery Ochkov wrote:

Search please!

Valery Ochkov wrote:

In spanish, french, italian, portuguese, galego, catalan, romanaian and the other romance languages the "^" are accent, and after press the character in the keyboard, it wait for the next character: if it is a vocal, then put the accent, if not, put the character. Accent is: â, ê, î, ô, û. That's happen even actually only some roamanian langs have it as accent. Spanish, for instance, don't use it. Same thing with this others: á, à and ä. And in spanish, again, there are not "à" nor "ä", but only "ü", but it's usualy that we have all of they enables in the keyboard.

Best regards.

The only way to solve the problem (for the great number of Italian students that use this software) is

1) change the keyboard profile to the english one;

2) use the "^" keyboard operator (pressing shift+6);

3) swap the keyboard profile to italian again.

Its not the only way. You may use ALT-94, or more complete ALT-0094 to get the ^ sign. You'll have to use the numeric keybad and numlock has to be on. Still cumbersome but qicker than shifting the keyboard layout twice, I guess.

Neverthess its inexcusable that this severe bug is still present. Most keyboard shortcuts don't work as expected in most localized versions of Prime, but the missing caret sign (seems to be a special italian keyboard problem) sure is one of the greatest annoyances.

Unbelievable!!!

Hello folks. I'm attending an event in Italy and I had a chat with MapleSoft folks.

It seems that Maple is now closer to Mathcad for the engineering functionalities.

So this morning I have decided to give another chance to Mathcad Prime and I have downloaded the free version (full for 30 days).

And the bug with italian keyboard is still there.

I can't file a support request (I'm not entitled as a trial user).

What is clear is that I'm the only one that would like to use Mathcad Prime in Italy (without the power elevation key it's absolutely unusable). I will go ahead with Mathcad 14 (I have a perpetual license).

And now I have decided to look into new version of Maple.

Six Reasons Why Mathcad Users Should Switch to Maple - YouTube

This is really a very very disappointing way of doing business in Italy.

You know?

They have a manual in Italian

"Tasti di scelta rapida di PTC® Mathcad Prime® 3.1"

mathcad_prime_showstopper.PNG

If I press x^ (here it works!!!) I got

mathcad_prime_showstopper-s.PNG

I really hope that this message will arrive to the product manager. I have an advise for him/her:

- ask to a QA team based in Italy to try all the shortcuts described in the manual Tasti di scelta rapida di PTC® Mathcad Prime® 3.1

- list the issues

- fix and patch

To be double sure repeat the task for all the supported languages. It will be really a small investment that could do a big difference.

Cheers.

Werner Exinger wrote:

Its not the only way. You may use ALT-94, or more complete ALT-0094 to get the ^ sign. You'll have to use the numeric keybad and numlock has to be on. Still cumbersome but qicker than shifting the keyboard layout twice, I guess.

Hi Werner. Not that easy: students use laptops, withot numeric keyboard, except for those with 15" screen, but a typical 14" or less screen laptops, don't have it. The general procedure for use alt-sequences is then block numlock, and use the usually blue number codes in the keyboard. But this numbsers are not present in the new laptops. So I guess that probably the procedure described by Chrisitain is the most avaible.

Best regards.

Alvaro.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:ptc-5354977)

Trivial solution  ... .... We can solve the problem, within the current worksheet by choosing the "exponentiation", and make a copy of it,  then paste it whenever needed.

I wish to point out that with 15 mathcad there are no problems with the exponentiation ^, it works. But with Prime-3.1 it does not. Furthermore, with Windows 10 it seems impossible to find the panel, where to change (code page) keyboard.

Top Tags