cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

KB Search Frustration

TomU
23-Emerald IV

KB Search Frustration

I was trying to troubleshoot a problem over the weekend, and no matter how I searched, the knowledge base would not return any useful information related to the topic.  Eventually I switched to Google which led me to an alternate language version of the article I needed.  Fortunately, Google Translate was able to convert this to something I could read, and I was then able to download the required script.  It would be helpful when searching to know if there is relevant information available in other languages, especially when public access to the English version of the same article is being blocked.

TomU_0-1710785616154.png

2 REPLIES 2
mchant
7-Bedrock
(To:TomU)

Hi @TomU 

Thanks for raising this topic.

All the PTC content in Search should have an English copy. Currently the other languages supported are Japanese and Chinese, and not all English content is translated.

Japanese and Chinese eSupport users will view results for their local language, but have the option to also see English results.

All other users only see English results at this time. 

To address this article CS278495, the English article was removed from Public view because the information contained was considered unsafe. Unfortunately there appears to have been a process breakdown that left the Japanese and Chinese versions online. 

I'm pursuing this with the relevant stakeholders with TS.

I'm not a Windu expert, so I'm not willing to elaborate further here,  however I would caution you from following the steps in the translated article you found without additional discussion with PTC Technical support

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:mchant)

@mchant,

Thanks for the reply.  The problem with removing this article is that it is the *ONLY* article on this topic.  There is no other public facing article dealing with the results of this particular WinDU task.  When the task fails, there needs to be *something* available in the knowledge base explaining what to do, and without this article (in another language), there is nothing.

Edit:  To clarify, if there are problems with an article, then change the article, but don't completely remove all trace of it from public view unless something else is made available at the same time to replace it.

Top Tags