cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Creo Parametric 8.0 slow loading files on a 2.5G network

GJ_9998978
4-Participant

Creo Parametric 8.0 slow loading files on a 2.5G network

Hi

I am new here and was wondering if you could help?

We have Creo 8.0 on a server with a 1G network.

we have now upgraded to a 2.5G network.

We are moving the drawing files to a QNAP  TS-h973AX  NAS with 32GB ram  and a 2.5G network connection

It then connects to a QNAP 2.5G network unmanaged switch

Which then connects to 3 X 2.5G network computers with 12th gen i7 processors with 32GB RAM each using NVMe drives..

Transfering files through file explorer gives us the 2.5G speed but when we try to open Creo 8.0 files the network only transfers files at 7Mbps to 13Mbps speed?

Do we need to change anything  in the config file settings in Creo to speed up the opening of the drawings in Creo?

note: we upgraded from pro e wildfire to Creo parametric 8.0

Could it be that a software limitation has come across from the old wildfire program and is limiting the speed of Creo loading files? 

any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:GJ_9998978)

Old Wildfire files opening in Creo 8 will require an internal file structure update. Since Creo is a hierarchical structured system, there may be many interdependencies that are being converted as the drawing files are opened.

A good test would be to open an old file and then save it and ALL of the related files to that file so they are now in Creo 8 format structure. Now open the file after it has been updated and see if that improves the performance.

GJ_9998978
4-Participant
(To:BenLoosli)

Hi,

I have made a backup of the files, Yes it loads faster but only with a clean config.pro file.

I have tracked the problem down to the Search_Paths in the config.pro file. When i do a clean install of the config.pro file, (remove all the search_paths) the inported file opens in about 20 seconds if it is loaded directly from the computer itself. Via the 2.5G network it loads in about 30 seconds.

But when i use the existing config.pro file with all the Search_Paths with opening the same file it takes about 6 minutes to open.

The only difference is in the clean config.pro configuration i just removed all the Search_Paths.

So the trouble shooting continues.

Thanks once again for your advice.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

How complex are your search paths?

Do you use a lot of sub-folder searches with a folder/... naming?

Creo will traverse the paths until they find the file it is looking for and then start over, looking for the next file. If your files are at the bottom of the search path list, that would explain the long load time. Try reordering the search paths so your imported file folder is searched first.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

If you are doing projects that require certain search paths, but not all your search paths, you can load a search path config after starting creo that only puts your required search paths in that session. Then if you need to change to a different project that has a different requirement for search paths, you would exit creo and restart and load the search path config for that project.

This process works great for projects that are independent of other projects. It's not really applicable for projects that actually require access to a large set of paths.

Top Tags