cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Overwriting the Creo 5 license location does not update anything when using the setup tool.

Sirisian
5-Regular Member

Overwriting the Creo 5 license location does not update anything when using the setup tool.

I had my license file on a drive (called D drive) that I formatted last year. When I run setup and select the license file on my C drive it says it's valid and I press finish, but when I run Creo Parametric  it pops up the "License request failed for feature" and below that shows the "Requesting PROE_Essentials" and "D:\...dat (-1) Cannot find license file." So it's not updating the license file location it seems.

Where is it storing the license location string? Is there a manual way to update that without uninstalling and reinstalling the whole program? (Not sure if uninstalling would fix this). Creo 5 is installed on C and the license file is on my desktop on C along with the setup files. I have no other drives connected anymore.

I read that there was a C:\ProgramData\PTC folder but I don't see any Licensing folder in there. Just a Creo and QualityAgent folder.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

1.]

Open parametric.psf file in Notepad

On my PC it is located in E:\PTC\Creo5_040\Creo 5.0.4.0\Parametric\bin directory

2.]

License access is defined in two following lines.

ENV=PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE-=path_to_your_license_file

ENV=CREOPMA_FEATURE_NAME=PROE_Essentials ()

Note: path_to_your_license_file is used in case that your license is locked, only.

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi,

1.]

Open parametric.psf file in Notepad

On my PC it is located in E:\PTC\Creo5_040\Creo 5.0.4.0\Parametric\bin directory

2.]

License access is defined in two following lines.

ENV=PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE-=path_to_your_license_file

ENV=CREOPMA_FEATURE_NAME=PROE_Essentials ()

Note: path_to_your_license_file is used in case that your license is locked, only.

Martin Hanák

Hello @Sirisian 

Suggestion from @MartinHanak is very good and may help to sort this out, expecially if you confirm that your license file is Locked (and not Floating)

They may be nevertheless other root causes however leading in the same given "error -1". We investited lot of time and efforts last year to propose to our customers the new  Guided Licensing & Installation Troubleshooter for PTC Products based on FlexLM tool, where you can reach suggestions for the error -1 code by browsing from starting page  the links I have another error code, and then other error codes.

Therefore:

• if @MartinHanak suggestion will be useless in your specific context,
  • and if guidance from The Tool introduced above will be useless as well:

1. We will be very happy to receive your feedbacks on above tool (you'll have access to provide a feedback on the tool after/during usage of it)

2. We encourage you to open a case to PTC Technical Support for further assistance (but we stay of course here also in parallel in this post to go on with suggestions, based on your future findings while pursuing your investigations in the direction proposed in the 2 first replies of this ongoing post)

Regards,

Serge

Sirisian
5-Regular Member
(To:MartinHanak)

That worked! Mine was in C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 5.0.0.0\Parametric\bin for other's reference. Thanks.

Top Tags