cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Cleanup Thingworx Database - PostgreSQL/MSSQL

Sathishkumar_C
17-Peridot

Cleanup Thingworx Database - PostgreSQL/MSSQL

We have installed thingworx 9.1 with postgreSQL using installer. Create more than 50+ entities and done a kind of an PoC. How to cleanup everything and make just like fresh installation instance without uninstallation?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi, 

Is this one licensed or hasn't licensed yet?

If it hasn't been licensed just create a new schema on Postgres and change the database on platform-settings.json. This will make your ThingWorx as fresh as it is first installed. I don't now about the licensed one whether it will cause a problem or no.

Thanks

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Hi,

Steps to be followed:

Write service that does following :

1. Query / get the list of 50+ entities either  grouping by project name or grouping by Tag

2. Based on the type of entities , delete the entities programmatically 

Hope this helps! 

@Ashritha Thank you for the suggestion. 

Here we are facing few entity dependency errors.

Can you please suggest how to delete (Thing, ThingTemplate, Thingshape, Datashapes and StyleDefinitions, Mashups etc) without getting entity dependency errors?

Hi,

Delete entities in following order

Mashups, StyleDefinitions, Things, Thingshapes , ThingTemplate , Datashape

Hope this Helps!!

Hi @Sathishkumar_C,

Dependency errors only  faced when the same entity is used in two different Projects; few Workarounds I can Suggest are,

- Whatever the PoC you have done, move all the Entities into a single project and recreate/Duplicate the Entities for Another project. This will solve the Dependency Error

- You can Create another DB and Reconnect to ThingWorx; that will cause no harm to the Licenses.

Thanks,

Shashi Preetham

Hi, 

Is this one licensed or hasn't licensed yet?

If it hasn't been licensed just create a new schema on Postgres and change the database on platform-settings.json. This will make your ThingWorx as fresh as it is first installed. I don't now about the licensed one whether it will cause a problem or no.

Thanks

@danmorin Its a licensed one and installed with Thingworx Installer. Not sure about running creating new schema on Postgres/MSSQL. 

Is there any difference between manually thingworx installation and auto installation with installer?

Yes, with Installer you just create a schema on the database then the table will be created by ThingWorx. But in the manual, you need the create schema and also the table inside manually. The solution that I was giving requires you to create schema and table manually which I think would be risky if you haven't performed any of manual installation yet because you might miss few things.

You can try to remove each entity one by one according to each dependency, remove the independent entity first which will make the other dependent entity will become independent.

A small technical correction (not important in this case but here for the sake of correctness), with the manual installer you manually create the database, then the batch/sh scripts provided in the manual installation file will do the table creation. It's true you need to run them manually, but you do not need to go in Postgres and create each table manually.

@danmorin, for the License one also, it will work correctly.

Thanks,

Shashi Preetham
Top Tags