cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

"ThingWorx Device Id"

SKannapiran
11-Garnet

"ThingWorx Device Id"

I want to know more information about the "ThingWorx Device Id". Is this associated with the ThingWorx platform installed machine ID? if so, in what situations a Device ID can be changed, Will the device ID detail change when the hard device of that machine reinstalled? Appreciate your input. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello @SKannapiran 

I have checked it internally as per implementation of it It should not changed, However this scenario has not been tested yet .

Thanks

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@Surya_Tiwari  - I am familiar with retrieving DeviceID, but I have some doubts

1. What is the relationship between the Device ID and the ThingWorx installed machine ID?

2. What are the conditions under which a Device ID can be changed?

3. How can a deviceID be updated?

Thanks

Hello @SKannapiran 

So whenever you install Twx on any machine it will be attached to one instance ID that can either be retrieve from composer via service else it is also present in thingworx platform folder.

The instance ID can be used to retrieve the license from support portal and remain the same as long as we dont reinstall the twx version on the same machine/server. SO only way to update is to reinstall twx. But is there any specific reason you want to update it?

I hope it answers your query.

Thanks

Bhawna

@bchaudhary  - The business use case requires the user authentication to be tied to the instance ID. Therefore, I was in need of clarification.

In my understanding, the instance ID is associated with a server on which TWX is installed. In this case, if the server's hard drive needs to be upgraded or switched, the instance ID will be changed, even if the contents of the hard drive have been migrated. Am I correct?

Hello @SKannapiran 

I have checked it internally as per implementation of it It should not changed, However this scenario has not been tested yet .

Thanks

Top Tags