cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

How to transform EBOM to MBOM by Java codes

TS_10782016
4-Participant

How to transform EBOM to MBOM by Java codes

HI, I'm creating an API to transform a EBOM to MBOM using java. I don't have much knowledge about the differences between EBOM and MBOM, and what I only found is that the WTPart names of EBOM comes with a (Design), while the MBOM WTParts are having a (Manufacturing). Does this mean I can just duplicate WTParts, and change their view from Design to Manufacturing, and then the transform is done?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

HI @TS_10782016 

It is not simple as you want to .

If you want to see the transformation from just java programing perspective, you can not do that. 

You need to understand how the transformation is done by the application, then you can create some automatization.

Note> Automatic transformation API did not exist

based on the idea, there is an API to create downstream branch but example is not publicized 

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Windchill-Ideas/New-Downstream-Branch-API/idi-p/686732

From my perspective you need to create the mBOM manually by code.

First step is to create Manufacturing bom from Design bom. 

You can go two ways.

First create new view of existing Part. that means that your manufacturing object has same number and name

Second you can create new Manufacturing part where the mfg part has new Number and name. 

After the mfg creation you need to create a link between Design and Manufacturing where the link name is Equivalence link .

If the part is created there is no child BOM parts in so you need to add the child parts to the mfg BOM.

Here you need to decide if the child parts should be also Manufacturing parts or not.

PetrH

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Some additional materials:

TS_10782016
4-Participant
(To:VladimirN)

Hi Vladimir,

Thank you for you reply. I read the materails, but they are not answering my question. I know EBOM and MBOM are different things and they are used in different situations, but what I want to know is whether they have differences as WTObjects on the perspective of programming. Like, when writing Java codes, what attributes should I change to make a EBOM WTPart to be a MBOM WTPart? 

Best Regards,

Tokuyu

HI @TS_10782016 

It is not simple as you want to .

If you want to see the transformation from just java programing perspective, you can not do that. 

You need to understand how the transformation is done by the application, then you can create some automatization.

Note> Automatic transformation API did not exist

based on the idea, there is an API to create downstream branch but example is not publicized 

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Windchill-Ideas/New-Downstream-Branch-API/idi-p/686732

From my perspective you need to create the mBOM manually by code.

First step is to create Manufacturing bom from Design bom. 

You can go two ways.

First create new view of existing Part. that means that your manufacturing object has same number and name

Second you can create new Manufacturing part where the mfg part has new Number and name. 

After the mfg creation you need to create a link between Design and Manufacturing where the link name is Equivalence link .

If the part is created there is no child BOM parts in so you need to add the child parts to the mfg BOM.

Here you need to decide if the child parts should be also Manufacturing parts or not.

PetrH

Hi PetrH,

Thank you for your reply. Your answer really helps me a lot. Now I have a better understanding on how things work. Just want to confirm that, so the BOM transformation can be done by 2 steps, Creating a new nanufacturing part/view, and then Creating an equivalence link between the design object and the manufacturing object. Is that correct?

Thank you very much.

Best Reguards,

Tokuyu

Hari_Vara
13-Aquamarine
(To:TS_10782016)

Hi,

I will just add my incremental comments.

The domain of this discussion is rather on a PLM Solution Architecture level and not on a Programming level.

The transformation of eBOM to MBOM is built by PTC that is time tested and hugely extendable solution with surrounding solutions like Mfg. Process Plans, Digital Work Instructions, 

With due respect, Iam little hesitant to say that you are in a wrong direction.

Technically, it is a long shot, but possible. But will it be the best solution. Hell NO.

Please use PTC's BOM Transformation license that comes with Windchill Premium or as addon to Windchill Advanced.

These functions are built in.

If there is any particular requirement that we need to address , we are more than happy to help you.

TS_10782016
4-Participant
(To:Hari_Vara)

Hi Hari,

Thank you for your reply. I am using the BOM Transformation license and I already tried the BOM transformer, and it was good. I'm just trying to figure out that is there a way to do this by calling APIs instead of doing the transformation on the GUI manually, because I need the transformation being triggered by another program automatically. If there is some information about APIs I can use, please tell me. Thank you very much.

Best reguards,

Tokuyu

Top Tags