cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill PLM "Classification " Tips & Techniques Session Recording (West Coast)

100% helpful (1/1)

Check out this video on Using Windchill "Classification" in Windchill from PTC Application Engineers

Presenters: Kevin Sergeant (Solution Consutlting, Principal) and Ryan Butcher (Solution Consulting, Fellow).

Original Date Presented: August 17, 2022

To dive deeper into the subject, check out Windchill Classification.

Comments

WEBCAST Q&A

Question from Erik:  What version of Windchill do you need to get classification search?

Answer:  Any version supports this capability.

WEBCAST Q&A

Question from JP:  Can the classification attributes shown on the Details tab of a WTPart be set to multiple columns like additional attributes?

Answer:  This would like need to be done through a customization.  Not sure of any other way to do it.

Question from JP: If I create multiple attributes on a bottom node and then decide I need to create a lower node, can i make that change?  How does it effect existing classified objects?

Answer:  You can add a new node under an existing leaf node.  Existing items stay classified at the original note until they are specifically moved.

Question from JP:  Do classification attributes only exist on the bottom node?  Asked another way, can i have attributes "mid node" that automatically get pushed down to lower nodes?

Answer:  They cascade down from high nodes.

WEBCAST Q&A

Question from Raghu: Does Windchill do "auto classification" based on object size, weight, etc.?  Goal:  to find (mechanical) objects smaller than xx and/or lighter than yy OR specify ranges.

Answer:  If those attributes are defined in the classification, they can be used to filter results  based on those using explicit values or ranges of values.

WEBCAST Q&A

Question from Kribakaran:  Are the any recommended approaches for Part Name Standardization?

Answer:  You can use rules to auto name the classified objects based on elements like attributes, strings that you enter, or even a mathematical function. 

Use this link to learn more:  

https://support.ptc.com/help/wnc/r12.0.2.0/en/?_gl=1*lymm33*_ga*MjA5MDAzODk1OS4xNjgzMTI5MDc1*_ga_1QBT6P6HR1*MTY4MzEyOTA3NS4xLjEuMTY4MzEyOTEzNS4wLjAuMA..*_ga_CBN5QVB9VJ*MTY4MzEyOTA3NS4xLjEuMTY4MzEyOTEzNS4wLjAuMA..#page/Windchill_Help_Center%2FWCClassReuseNodeAutoName.html

Version history
Last update:
‎Sep 20, 2022 09:17 PM
Updated by:
Labels (2)
Contributors