cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Change Monitor fails to load - Throws NullPointerException

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

Change Monitor fails to load - Throws NullPointerException

avillanueva_0-1709047182496.png

Got a strange one. This is impacting production and I know it was working last week. It does not matter which context and I can confirm this that multiple users get same error message when trying to access Change Monitor. When I looked this up, knowledge base articles talk about upgrades and upgraded OOTB change monitor reports. This a system that has been upgraded since 7.0 so its got history.

I have been looking into Problem Reports and building some new Query Builder reports to assist. I check and I did not accidentally touch those OOTB reports, all exist and I can run them successfully from Site Reports. Interesting that when I ran them to test, it now shows upgraded but middle column is modified date which has not changed recently.

avillanueva_1-1709048281524.png

I know these were working last week. What changed over weekend is DB patching which does appear to have been successful. We added some customizations which needed to have tomcat cache cleared. We've done that often enough for it to be odd that it was the cause. Articles below talk about blowing away OOTB reports and reloading them. Has anyone seen this issue or know if reloading reports is safe?  Seems drastic. Actual end of error message is below:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS264284?source=search

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS359502?source=search

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS264489?source=search

Caused by: wt.util.WTException: java.lang.NullPointerException
Nested exception is: java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.ptc.windchill.enterprise.reportBuilder.ReportBuilderHelper.generateInfo(ReportBuilderHelper.java:803)
	at com.ptc.windchill.enterprise.reportBuilder.ReportBuilderHelper.generateTableModel(ReportBuilderHelper.java:744)
	... 73 more
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.ptc.windchill.enterprise.reportBuilder.ReportBuilderSoftQueryUtil.buildSoftItemBuilder(ReportBuilderSoftQueryUtil.java:69)
	at com.ptc.windchill.enterprise.reportBuilder.ReportBuilderSoftQueryUtil.buildSoftRelationalExpression(ReportBuilderSoftQueryUtil.java:132)
	at com.ptc.windchill.enterprise.reportBuilder.ReportBuilderStatementHelper.build(ReportBuilderStatementHelper.java:1847)
	at com.ptc.windchill.enterprise.reportBuilder.ReportBuilderStatementHelper.build(ReportBuilderStatementHelper.java:1155)
	at com.ptc.windchill.enterprise.reportBuilder.ReportBuilderStatementHelper.build(ReportBuilderStatementHelper.java:855)
	at com.ptc.windchill.enterprise.reportBuilder.ReportBuilderStatementHelper.build(ReportBuilderStatementHelper.java:740)
	at com.ptc.windchill.enterprise.reportBuilder.ReportBuilderStatementHelper.build(ReportBuilderStatementHelper.java:649)
	at com.ptc.windchill.enterprise.reportBuilder.ReportBuilderStatementHelper.buildQuery(ReportBuilderStatementHelper.java:426)
	at com.ptc.windchill.enterprise.reportBuilder.ReportBuilderStatementHelper.buildCompound(ReportBuilderStatementHelper.java:249)
	at com.ptc.windchill.enterprise.reportBuilder.ReportBuilderStatementHelper.buildStatement(ReportBuilderStatementHelper.java:206)
	at com.ptc.windchill.enterprise.reportBuilder.ReportBuilderStatementHelper.buildStatement(ReportBuilderStatementHelper.java:147)
	at com.ptc.windchill.enterprise.reportBuilder.ReportBuilderHelper.generateInfo(ReportBuilderHelper.java:781)
3 REPLIES 3

Hi Antonio,
I don't know if I can help you in this way, however I am attaching the OOTB report of my system, which is even older than yours.

Running a comparison may be helpful to see if there are any differences.

In any case, I have never experienced any symptoms like you described.

Marco

Hi @avillanueva 

Enable below logger and recur issue, check if the logs will throw useful information

com.ptc.windchill.enterprise.reportBuilder.ReportBuilderSoftQueryUtil

com.ptc.windchill.enterprise.reportBuilder.ReportBuilderStatementHelper

From the source code, it shows that there was an exception while obtaining attributeMap

Try reload 

windchill wt.load.LoadFromFile -d <Windchill_Home>\loadFiles\pdmlink\upgrade\PDMLinkMigrateReportTemplates.xml

I didn't see anything in the debug logs when I enabled those but I will check again. I planned on just validating reloading templates on my test server just to make sure no additional harm is done. Perhaps this just needs a cache clearing too.

Top Tags